Ramblers oppose army on Dartmoor

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PassingBells, Oct 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

2 points stand out in this:

1.The military has had a presence on Dartmoor for more than 200 years, long before it became a National Park.

and, more importantly:

2.The current licence - issued by the Duchy of Cornwall, which owns most of the land - is due for renewal in 2012.

Could cause a bit of friction if the license was not renewed!!!!!
  2. Don't write em off, those same complainers got Operation Sealion cancelled.
  3. I can't see Charles short changing the forces by giving in to the ramblers
  4. "It's a splendid area. There are superb views across to Exmoor, but if the army is firing across the range you cannot go there."

Let's come to a compromise. How about we allow Mr Skinner, and his kagoule-wearing, thermos-sucking, knapsack- sporting friends access, even when we are firing. That way, everyone is happy.
  5. Lol

6. However much these clutzes whine they fail to realise that, if it was not for the Army training over these areas and keeping the heavy feet of Joe Public off the ground, there wouldn't be half the wildlife surviving in situ.

A good example of this is SPTA Stanford in Norfolk; the ground there hasn't had a plough in it for 60 years; a few trenches here and there (always filled in) don't amount to much. The result is that there are wildflowers growing there that you won't find anywhere else, plus a healthy population of nightingales, fresh-water mussels in the river (supposedly contaminated but the mussels argue against that)- the list is endless.

If the Army moved out, for any reason, especially Stanford, the development vultures would be all over the place like a rash. Scratch the surface of any protest group involved with areas like this and you'll find a developer :evil: lurking amongst them somewhere.

Middlewick Ranges near Colchester are under pressure too. If all the dog walkers and the like stopped to think for a moment before moaning about access, they'd realise that the green space they presently enjoy would be Prescottised in about zero minutes- last guess was 200 houses, superstore, etc!
  7. Eh? D'you mean ramblers?

Or that bullish bulldog walls-of-oak spirit which now makes coffin dodgers rural aesthetes hell-bent on stopping the young have their fun?
  8. Ramblers oppose army on Dartmoor... mmm they do, do they..

Well being born 'n' bred down there I oppose the bloody ramblers being allowed on the moor.... I'm fed up of seeing the plastic bags, coke cans, crisp packets and all the other cr*p they leave behind when on their 'country' walks especialy during grockle season... c*nts.

Not to mention the damage done by thousands of feet tramping across the moor each year. Even the Plume 'n' Feathers has been 'Grockalised' and now resembles one of those 'Butlins' plastic country pubs!

Much rather have the army tramping all over the place any day, at least the moor is respected and looked after.
  9. Why don't we all express ourselves to these people? I just fired off this quick email to the Ramblers:

10. I couldn't agree more.

How I would love to see the Duchy and MoD release a joint statement saying that Dartmoor is essential for military training and will be so used for a long time to come. And also point out that the Royal Marines currently in Afghanistan are one of many units who need to train there. And then to tell the Ramblers Association to "Get orf my land!"

Don't see it happening though, pity.
  11. Anyone who has had anything to do with the ramblers people knows full well that they were well involed with planning Sealion.
  12. Email address, postal address and website?

Lets get ARRSE'y on them.
  13. Why don't the ramblers join the Army? Then they can ramble and get paid for it!
  14. ramblers@ramblers.org.uk

And below is my email:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was born in Devon, very near to Dartmoor, and I would just like to say how disappointed I am with your attitude to the military use of Dartmoor.

The Royal Marines of 3 Commando Brigade are currently serving in Afghanistan and many of their personnel are based near or trained on Dartmoor. Dartmoor is essential for military training, and they in turn go to great efforts to preserve its natural environment. I would hazard a guess that the areas where civilian use is restricted are probably in a far better condition than those areas where access is uncontrolled, and has far less litter too to give just one example. To start such a campaign in the run up to Remembrance Sunday is also rather inappropriate given the danger that our servicemen and women currently find themselves in.

I would prefer to see your organisation making a statement in support of the need for this essential training, and thanking the Ministry of Defence for their good work in looking after this beautiful piece of our countryside, thus preserving it for future generations.