Ramadi in lockdown as rebels take control

Militants led by the group al-Qaeda in Iraq took control of the centre of rebel city Ramadi for almost an hour today after mounting a fierce rocket and mortar assault on US and government bases.

The Reuters news agency reported that around 400 heavily-armed masked men were patrolling the streets and had set up checkpoints along major entrance and exit routes.

US troops, stationed in a garrison on the easten edge of the city, issued urgent warnings over loudspeakers telling locals to stay indoors for the next three days.

Police lieutenant Mohammed Al-Obaidi said that at least four mortar rounds fell near the US compound. He said there were no reports of casualties.

Some reports suggest that the militants dispersed after around an hour, others that they had merely stopped firing their weapons after cementing positions in a number of sectors of the city.

The move by al-Zarqawi's group came just hours after President Bush told Americans that Iraqi forces were gradually taking control in Iraq, which would allow the US to reduce its troop levels there. Mr Bush told the US Naval Acadamy in Annapolis that the Army was still on course for "complete victory".
[c]Times online

Militants led by the group al-Qaeda in Iraq
I'm sorry , how do they know it was al-Z and al-Q?

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
For the same reason that over the last 25 years everthing has been either Exocet, Kalshnikov, Semtex............ill thought out press use of pointless sensationalist buzzwords and Al Q/Al Z are merely the latest b@st@ard children in this long line of sensationalism.

Exactly MiB.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that a lot of these attacks are being undertaken by former Iraqi Army Soldiers and their Officers?

Is it really such a stretch to imagine a Platoon ,Coy, Battalion or even God forbid a Regiment sized formation out there that thinks "Well we never surrendered , and there are foreign troops in our country" etc etc?

Let's face it, if it happened here, what would we do?

Standyby for another city to be literally reduced to rubble as the USMC rock up to sort things out, the red white a nd blue way!

AlQaeda/Zarqawi's tag serves both the Nationalist insurgents and the Americans. For the nationalists it's easy cover for when you do something that could be harmful to your popular support base. While for the Americans Al Qaeda/Zarqawi is the great popular bogey man who, if not defeated, could take over the whole of Iraq and so provides continued justification for the allied presence in Iraq.

Yeah look in for a look out. When sh1t like that happens its amazing how the coalition gets caught off guard and the only response is let it all die down then attck a city full of civvys. 1 Cheshire had the right idea as soon as the news comes in deploy the entire battle group on to the ground with VCP's and fighting patrols and watch the insurgents Foxtrot Oscar at the double. minimal shooting maximum effectivness!!!

PartTimePongo said:
Militants led by the group al-Qaeda in Iraq
I'm sorry , how do they know it was al-Z and al-Q?
This is how...

As the militants dispersed they left behind leaflets which proclaimed that al-Qaeda in Iraq, led by Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was on the verge of taking over.

As the militants dispersed they left behind leaflets which proclaimed that al-Qaeda in Iraq, led by Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was on the verge of taking over.

Alleged leaflet by Iraqi militants claims al-Zarqawi is dead

A Jordanian extremist suspected of bloody suicide attacks in Iraq was killed some time ago in U.S. bombings and a letter outlining plans for fomenting sectarian war is a forgery, a leaflet signed by a dozen alleged insurgent groups said. A senior U.S. official denied that claim.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed in the Sulaimaniyah mountains of northern Iraq "during the American bombing there," according to the eight-page leaflet circulated this week in Fallujah, a city 30 miles west of Baghdad that is a hotbed of anti-U.S. insurgency activity.

There was no way to verify the authenticity of the leaflet. It was signed by 12 groups, including several cited by U.S. officials in the past including the Ansar al-Sunna Army and Muhammad's Army.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/03/04/international1007EST0532.DTL

Mujahedin Allahu Akbar (God is Great Fighters). This group distributed leaflets in Al-Fallujah in early March 2004 claiming that suspected Al-Qaeda terrorist Abu Mus'ab Al-Zarqawi was killed in the northern Iraqi mountains near Al-Sulaymaniyah during a U.S. raid in the area last year, AP reported on 4 March. While the leaflet did not provide the specific date for the alleged U.S. raid or for al-Zarqawi's purported death, it is presumably referring to the March bombings of an Ansar Al-Islam stronghold in northern Iraq just days into Operation Iraqi Freedom (see "RFE/RL Iraq Report," 25 March 2003). The leaflets further claimed that a letter held by coalition officials in Iraq and purportedly written by al-Zarqawi (see "RFE/RL Iraq Report," 12 February 2004) is a fake.
http://www.rferl.org/specials/IraqCrisis/specials-armedgroups.asp

I see, so we're taking this leaflet at face value. but not the one describing "Big Z" as dead, because he couldn't have it away on his toes, seeing as he's only got 5 of them?

The more I see, the less I believe

I guess it's just down to which leaflet was most 'on message' :wink:

Ahhhhhh I see the light begins to dawn ;)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Glad for you PTP....explain for us thickos ?

Without a formal identification of his body, I don't believe Al-Zarqawi is dead, anymore than his old boss is dead. That's either wishful thinking on Coalition's part or disinformatzia" and maskirovka. on the part of AQ and crew, while the nasty little tyke holes up and has shrapnel wounds treated.....

Le Chevre