RAM problem

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BiscuitsAB, Jan 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Bugger it! currently running 2 slots of DDR pc2300 (256Mb) of RAM in my Sony VIO. Checked for compatible RAM today and bought two lumps of DDR pc2700 (512Mb) which is suppossed to be compatible.

Swapped it over and got the blue screen of death and total failure to boot after that.

Questions did I miss something and if so what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

2. More than likely the clock speeds aren't matching.

Now i'm not sure if you can run different RAM at different clocks, but i know i have 3 sticks (1x 2GB and 2x 1GB's) and 1 of them is a completely different size, make, model but all 3 sticks are clocked at 800mhz so thats what i think it might be.
  3. Oh and just to clarify if your running a 32bit environment on XP/vista or whatever, and your upgrading your RAM to 4GB's, you will only be able to get 3.25GB out of 4, unless you upgraded to a 64bit OS environment.

Edit: ignore i just realised its nowhere near 4GB.
  4. BiscuitsAB go to this site http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and use there memory upgrage tool it will tell you all you need to know
  5. Biscuits.

I would guess that you have either:

a) got a problem with compatibility.

b) the new RAM modules weren't seated properly in your laptop.

I recently fitted new RAM to my laptop and on the first boot I had a problem. I powered down, took the RAM out and reseated it using A LOT MORE FORCE. After an audible click I rebooted and all was well.
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Cheers mate I hadn't seated them properly in the slots, the recommendation for A LOT MORE FORCE was exactly the ticket, I take it you are/were REME :wink:

thanks for the assist.
  7. Happy to help, glad it worked.

I was Royal Signals, but I see where you're coming from :D