Ralph Vaughan Williams

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Apr 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have long enjoyed the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams.

I was prompted tonight to look up something of his life and (if wikipedia is to be believed) was interested to find that:

Does anyone know more of his military service? It would seem that he should be as well remembered for his military service to his country as for the service he did in creating the patriotic pastoral music that he is so well known for.

More here:
    Listen to Vaughan Williams' music here:
    and here:
  2. I can never listen to "The Lark Ascending" without thinking of a trip I made to the Somme a couple of years ago...

An anthem for a Lost Generation, if ever there was...
  3. "Lark Ascending" will, happily, be the piece for which he's remembered - a lovely piece of music. On the darker side of his experiences - take the time to listen to his Symphony No 6 (forget the key). It encapsulates the frustrations and sufferings of WWI through the eyes of a well-intentioned young man. Brilliant - and heart-rending.
  4. Treat yourself and listen to George Butterworth's The Banks of Green Willow. Butterworth was a contemporary of Vaughn-Williams and received an MC for service on the Western Front in the DLI before being killed by a sniper in 1916. Stirring stuff... trust me.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The DLI what a regiment, the LI Regtl Hymn is solely down to a VC winner from the DLI in WW1. I got a book out on VC's from the local Library and I was surprised. Abide with Me.
  6. I read this with interest. Vaughan-Williams was one of Britain's greatest composers, IMHO, and I now learn an incredibly brave man to boot. I find it impossible to listen to his music without being moved in some way. I knew about Butterworth, simply through a program I saw on UK History a couple of months ago, but only knew of the banks of the green willow through some awful TV ad for Standard life insurance in the '80s
  7. Butterworth has no known grave and is commemmorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing (Pier and Face 14 A and 15 C.). Everytime I visit it I find either a photocopy or an original insert from a cassette or CD of BOGW stuck next to his name...what a generation and how terribly as a society we betray their sacrifices daily.
  8. Thanks for that, Cuddles. I'm planning a staff ride to the Somme and Ypres later this year and that will prove a useful addition to our visit to Thiepval.
  9. I read you Cuddles, I read you. The hell they went through and all those lost opportunities. The only thing my Grandpa ever said to me about the first war was about the ongoing loss, "...those were the lads who would have made the difference you see." I can remember him saying those words as though they were yesterday.

They would have made the difference but instead they made the ultimate sacrifice and we owe them. I know you know that and understand that, but there are many who need reminding.
  10. Is "Abide With Me" the DLI hymn? I never realised . . . . .

HF Lyte, who wrote the words of AWM and "Praise my soul the king of Heaven", was an OB of Portora Royal School, Enniskillen, a graduate of Trinity, Dublin, and a CofI parson. Interesting man . . . . .