Raising the Tone

Don't know what's happened to this thread - was a time when it was a hotbed of cutting edge informed debate on matters auftragstaktik and the like...

Recently it's turned into a "love-in" for deserters to the Antipodes and the standard of bicycling at Shrivers. Anyway, in order to address matters:

"Fingerspitzen - alive or dead on todays modern, NEC battlefield? Discuss."

Hints: Vom Kriege. VI. [Needs to be read in the original german to fully understand and appreciate what Karl was on about].

....that should do it.

And I would also seriously question whether today's 'modern battlefield' could in any way be characterised as 'network enabled' before you start chuntering on about what some dead German wrote.

Proximo said:
And I would also seriously question whether today's 'modern battlefield' could in any way be characterised as 'network enabled' before you start chuntering on about what some dead German wrote.
Indeed. I've got lots of fingers to point at who's responsible too.

...and now I have this image of orderly rooms and padres the length and breadth of the Command being rung up and asked if they have a bible (up to date version with all the latest amendments).

seanbean said:
...and now I have this image of orderly rooms and padres the length and breadth of the Command being rung up and asked if they have a bible (up to date version with all the latest amendments).
Orderly Room - Havent heard that said for a long time, how long have you been out?

GrumpyGit said:
seanbean said:
Orderly Room - Havent heard that said for a long time, how long have you been out?
Still in Grumpy - called it "orderly room" out of deference to some of the other members.... In my world it's now called an "iHub".

Surely "FingerspitzenGEFUEHL"? Not sure what fingertips in themselves have to do with it- unless it's about touch screens...

seanbean said:
May I just say? Killy sunt.

PandaLOVE said:
seanbean said:
May I just say? Killy sunt.
No need to ask permission Panda - it's all quite informal here...

Is our current training preparing us (The British Army) for 'A war' or 'The War'?

My favourite for when I mess up

Psalm 69 :2

After an OGroup Matthew 15:16

For those on COs orders Mark 2:43

Those on stag Mark 8 :24

For a young subby Luke 3:14

For the CO Luke 7 :8

For the Int Cell Luke 6 :39

Have a good one

RC

I don't know whether you are raising the tone or forcing people (who want to keep up with all of the Bible verses) to rummage around for the nearest bible and try and find the key setting. However, if you want a serious debate (you are probably in the wrong place), how about trying to work out how you persuade the middle chunk of the Army (senior captains, junior majors and senior Cpls, junior sergeants) to stay on when they have had their bit of adventure or are tired of being messed around and separated from their nearest and dearest. Is it all down to more money? better national recognition? more time off between tours?
Don't know the answer to this one (although I am sure that the AG would be happy if you could answer it) but happy to hear your views.
whf

Matthew 15, 16: translates into army-speak as 'what don't you fekkin understand, mong?'

I believe the King James version puts it somewhat differently.