Raising Funds for Combat Stress

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by stsr, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if you can help me. I previously abseiled in 2007 for Combat stress raising around £6000 and got tremendous support from this website and wondered if you could help me again?

M y niece Victoria McMillan, 21 years of age, a young mum and a law student from Aberdeen is doing the Loch Ness 10K run on the 4th October 2009. She is raising funds for Combat Stress, as this is a charity close to both of our hearts.

As I am sure you will all know Combat Stress has never been busier – there has been a 66% increase in the number of new Veterans seeking their help over the last four years. The demand on their services is unlikely to decrease over the short to medium term and the pressure on their very modest resources is growing.

Fundraising is so important to them as their services are free to Veterans but provision comes at a considerable cost. Last year they spent in the region of £8 million, of which £3.9 million was provided by the Veterans Agency (MoD). The rest had to be raised through charitable donations and grants. This year their operating costs are expected to reach £10 million – because of increased demand. This is a vast amount of money for this charity to find.

The following area few examples of what monies raised can help with:

•£30.00 pays for a session of trauma-focused therapy.
    •£130.00 pays for a consultation with a psychiatrist
    •£293.00 pays for a full day's care at a Combat Stress treatment centre

As you can see from these figures Combat Stress has a huge financial challenge ahead of them for the near and distant future.

This is where hopefully you come in. We wondered if you would be kind enough to sponsor Victoria and thereby help Combat Stress with their financial challenge.

You can donate online at http://www.justgiving.com/victoriamcmillan3 or contact me for postal details.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Anne McMillan

Baxter’s River Ness 10K Details at http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/events/10k.php