Rainbow Division - American National Guard

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3973779.stm

These are 3,500 troops from the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division and 3,000 personnel from the headquarters unit from the 1st Infantry Division.

One of their replacement units - the headquarters unit for the 42nd Infantry Division - is being delayed, so the net effect will be to increase troop numbers by a relatively modest 3,500.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/42id.htm

Soldiers from the Rainbow Division were among the first military responders at the World Trade Center site on September 11th, 2001. The division would later assume command and control of the entire New York National Guard joint task force for response and recovery in lower Manhattan. The National Guard response in New York City would reach more than 1,800 Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines in the days and weeks following the attacks. Task Force Liberty, the New York Guard Component of the 42nd Joint Task Force Rainbow Hope activated for Operation World Trade Center. The Task Force consisted of approximately 3,000 soldiers, drawn from The Army National Guard, The New York Guard, The Naval Militia and The Air National Guard.

The 42nd Infantry Division Headquarters and base units mobilized in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the nation's Global War on Terror. The headquarters troops mobilized 27 May 2004 to train for their mission at Fort Drum, NY. The division expected to complete its training tasks later this year and deploy to Iraq at the end of 2004 and early 2005. Over the month of June 2004 the citizen-soldiers of the Army’s famous “Rainbow Division” departed home station armories across the United States for movement and in-processing at their Fort Drum, NY, Fort Dix, NJ, Fort Hood and Fort Bliss, TX and Camp Shelby, MS mobilization sites. More than 3,000 division Soldiers mobilized in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the Global War on Terror.
So ANG can deploy a whole division to Iraq, does that mean they are a lot better than the TA. Just think a TA brigade deploying to Iraq ???
 
#2
polar said:
Just think a TA brigade deploying to Iraq ???
just the thought of a single TA soldier makes me shudder

(although saying that there were a handful of the unit that I had the misfortune to deploy with that were excellent, but they were in the minority and dont tell them that Ive said this)
 
#4
Ozgerbobble said:
Rainbow Division -

Is that commanded by Bungle and Zippy? :lol:
a branch of Green Peace or even members of the gay community?
 
#5
Filbert Fox said:
(although saying that there were a handful of the unit that I had the misfortune to deploy with that were excellent, but they were in the minority and dont tell them that Ive said this)
Like the small print :twisted: :twisted:
 
#6
Filbert Fox said:
polar said:
Just think a TA brigade deploying to Iraq ???
just the thought of a single TA soldier makes me shudder

(although saying that there were a handful of the unit that I had the misfortune to deploy with that were excellent, but they were in the minority and dont tell them that Ive said this)
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=35
Just TA
1. It's the same Army, but I'm told that a separate board is wanted. 2. Regulars, don't bait the TA; we've all heard it and it's boring.
Moderator msr
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
 
#7
The Rainbow division was unique. It was the only division composed exclusively of National Guard units drawn from different locations throughout the United States. The Rainbow Division's history as a unit began with America's entry into World War I, when individual states competed with each other for the honor to be the first to send their National Guard units to Europe. The government decided to create a division composed of hand picked National Guard units from 26 states and the District of Columbia. The Division received the name "Rainbow Division" during its organization at Camp Mills, Long Island, New York, based on the observation of the Chief of Staff of the Division [Colonel Douglas MacArthur] that "The 42nd Division stretches like a Rainbow from one end of America to the other." To further characterize the nickname, the adopted division insignia resembles a rainbow in bright, red, gold, and blue colors.

The Rainbow Division was conceived in part to quicken the deployment of United States troops to Europe. This was based on the belief that formed National Guard units could be activated and trained more quickly than could new units composed of green draftees. The prewar standing regular army was small and for the most part, unprepared for a modern war. Some National Guard units had recent combat experience in the Mexican Border Operation of 1916-1917. Using the National Guard may have been partially politically inspired since use of the Guard would likely evoke public support for the War.
 
#8
scalieback said:
Just TA
1. It's the same Army, but I'm told that a separate board is wanted. 2. Regulars, don't bait the TA; we've all heard it and it's boring.
Moderator msr
Im not baiting, Im being honest.
 
#9
Filbert Fox said:
scalieback said:
Just TA
1. It's the same Army, but I'm told that a separate board is wanted. 2. Regulars, don't bait the TA; we've all heard it and it's boring.
Moderator msr
Im not baiting, Im being honest.
"we've all heard it and it's boring."
 
#10
scalieback said:
"we've all heard it and it's boring."
still being honest no matter how boring you may think it may be, and if you think its baiting then stand i9n front of a mirror and tell the 'man' in front of you to get a life :roll:
 
#11
Filbert Fox said:
(although saying that there were a handful of the unit that I had the misfortune to deploy with that were excellent, but they were in the minority .........)[/size]
The same could be said about the regular unit I worked with on Telic also. :lol: :lol:
 
#12
adir said:
The same could be said about the regular unit I worked with on Telic also. :lol: :lol:
yep but you dont hear me bleating about being baited :roll:
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#13
Quick! Somebody talk about mortgages, interest rates and serps. That will confuse the baiting reg! 8O

DS
 
#14
Das Stab said:
Quick! Somebody talk about mortgages, interest rates and serps. That will confuse the baiting reg!
quite possibly :D
 
#16
Filbert Fox said:
adir said:
The same could be said about the regular unit I worked with on Telic also. :lol: :lol:
yep but you dont hear me bleating about being baited :roll:
i think you just did.
 
#17
I met some guys from a national guard battalion this summer. Their unit was equppied with 42 Bradeleys, and when they get called up, they go en mass.

Personally I rather the way the TA is being used for deployments. Filtering TA soldiers in to regular battalions is the way I rather it, as this way you get commanders with past operational expirience. Would you really feel comfortable with your TA chain of command if you were deployed to Iraq, especially the Sunni Areas. I get depressed enough with it on excercise, I would hate to have to do it where I was in real danger
 
#18
come_to_arrest_the_zulus said:
Would you really feel comfortable with your TA chain of command if you were deployed to Iraq, especially the Sunni Areas. I get depressed enough with it on excercise, I would hate to have to do it where I was in real danger
That is because the TA chain of command are badly trained (should spend all their time on exercise not unending jollys), they are very badly selected (tainted DNA, heaven knows who set the criteria and what they were thinking at the time) and are set bad example by their regular contemperaries (on being posted to a TA unit slot).

The reality is that there is alot of (human/leader) potential being put to waste or ignored by the system.
 
#19
adir said:
come_to_arrest_the_zulus said:
Would you really feel comfortable with your TA chain of command if you were deployed to Iraq, especially the Sunni Areas. I get depressed enough with it on excercise, I would hate to have to do it where I was in real danger
That is because the TA chain of command are badly trained (should spend all their time on exercise not unending jollys), they are very badly selected (tainted DNA, heaven knows who set the criteria and what they were thinking at the time) and are set bad example by their regular contemperaries (on being posted to a TA unit slot).

The reality is that there is alot of (human/leader) potential being put to waste or ignored by the system.
The system falls down in a way because a lot of those being promoted are those who have a high attendance. Makes sense in a way, but their high attendance is probaly due to the fact that they dont a- have much of a social life, b- have operational expirience. I know junior ranks who have more tours than a few of the seniors put together, but because of the time they spend away they dont get promoted. If i had to go on operations with a TA regiment it's these guys I would want to be giving me the orders, not some guy who works in brantano shoes
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#20
Badly trained? We do training in line with the amount of time we can put into it. 2 weeks in Brecon might not seem enough, which most TA NCOs would agree, but we can't very well do 12 weeks and expect a job afterwards. As for unending jollys, my regt has has 1 weekend jolly in 2 years, too busy training to support the regs for Telic, PSO, Agricola, Veritas.....

And no, it doesn't help when Regs we come in contact with just use it as an opportunity to lord it!
 

Similar threads

Top