Railway Engine Info

Discussion in 'RLC' started by mcnato, Oct 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apart from the usual pish taking I'm envisaging,

Would any old railway types have any info on the diesel loco 'Percy' that is sitting in Marchwood? I know the specs as I've had access to that board. I know who built it, the year and it's number (22503). I just need a bit of its history and role. It came back from Germany when the Sqn returned but not a lot is know about it at all.

It's for a course where I can put together a case for it to be listed as heritage. I've asked the railway lads in Marchwood but details are at a minimum.

PMs are fine if you don't want to be known as an anorak.

Many thanks

(Standing by for piss taking)
  2. And here it comes.

Although I shall bow to your vast knowledge of Thomas and his mates kind sir.
  3. WTF McPotato, you're getting some grief tomorrow!!!

You will now be known as The Fat Controller, only because a certain Sqn WO has recently moved on...
  4. Yeah, and he was my first port of call. He knew bugger all about Hornby, at least I can talk shite for hours about tank transporters.
  5. I was thinking of the one with boobs!!!!
  6. Percy was stabled on a short section of track outside of the 79 Railway Squadron RCT Training Wing at South Park Ayrshire Barracks when I was there in the 70's & 80's.

The Training Wing appeared to have adopted Percy at that time and routinely cleaned and started her up. (Part of the A3 course if there were visits to the unit by the Senior Officers).

She was electric start which comphered to the old German Loco's of the same aged which were compressed air start was a god send.

I used to run the battery shop and instruct in the Training Wing. A couple of 12V 100 AH chieftan batteries would have Percy started, if I remember correctly Percy was wired for 12V. (Extra batteries were taken to be on the safe side, 12V landrover batteries were also used but lacked the amps if Percy had been stood for a while).

The funnel was rebuilt in the 80's due to rusting out.

Percy was fitted with an manual type gearbox with levers to change direction and speed setting/gears. (Very old fashioned when comphered to the German Locos of the same age which had Voith transmissions).

All the squadron photos were taken in front of Percy and a number appear on the internet if you put in 79 Railway Squadron.

If the photo shown is the state of Percy now, then some body should have a kick up the ARRSE as she used to shine outside the Training Wing. (A mixture of kero and oil would have her shining).

79 Railway Squadron have a entry on Face Book I believe, and an Association Of Military Railwaymen have reunions on regular basis so you may be able to get more info from them.
  7. Anoraks!

Roadster - quality reply.

I used to work for the SRPS, for my sins... mea culp, mea culpa.
  8. I can not remember why the loco was called Percy but it may have been related to Thomas The Tank Engine books which were popular in the 60's when percy was put on display.

All the Army locomotive in Germany were named after Senior Army Officers, brass letters on red name plates, with the exception of an
    0-4-0 Hunslet which was named after the Squadron 2I/C who died in service and wore black name plates.

I believe all the locos at Bicester were named after appointments i.e. Conductor, Storeman etc.

Steam Locomotives which used to belong to the Royal Engineers had various names i.e. Waggoner, Sapper, and the most famous of all Gordon.

One of the old Deutz 360's, 0-6-0's built for the German Army prior to WW2 was repainted blue and red from NATO green and given to an German railway museum with the name plate of a very well known (in railway circles) 79 Railway Squadron OC.
  9. Many thanks for all the replies, especially BD216LOKDVR, just the sort of thing I need..

I'll let you know if that's what state it's in, at some point the REME here got it running again and there was talk of it being 'donated' to a heritage railway site so that it can be used and maintain properly.

10. The Buckinghamshire Railway Society near Aylesbury has a few old military locomotives both steam and diesel (runners and statics under cover).

I believe Sapper and Waggoner are both on the Isle of Wight and Gordon maybe on one of the more popular professionally run railways.

I help out a while back on a narrow guage railway and rebuilt a early 1900's Indian steam locomotive which was a big box of bits so restoring Percy to her former state should not be to difficult.

A number of ex 79's are working with the big Railway companies (Southwest Trains, DB, Freightliner etc) namely, Dave T ex WO1, Jez F ex WO1, Stevie S ex WO2, so it may be worth phoning around the railway companies Head Offices and asking if they will contact them to phone you back. (Or contact some of the railway magazines and ask for info).

A number of ex 79's live in the Hampshire area who may have more knowledge of Percy so prehaps contacting the local TV station and doing a article on Percy may produce results. I believe that Percy was on TV when the Squadron moved to Marchwood so a follow upon local TV may be worth while.
  11. He's on the Severn Vally railway but not in working order anylonger, looks nice and shiney in their museum! Saw him last year.