Railway a good career for ex-military

As a retired railway signaller with Network Rail I would recommend the railway as a career for former armed forces personnel.
When I first joined the railway in 2002 my signalling line manager was an ex-Scots Guards sergeant and his assistant manager was ex-Royal Marines. When my line manager retired he was replaced by an ex-RAF squadron leader. Eight other signallers in my own operational area were all former service personnel from the Army, Navy & RAF.
The way the railway trains its personnel and works operationally is similar to the way the military works and so former servicemen or women would have the right transferable skills that would give them a good career. I would recommend people to look up the Network Rail vacancies online and see what's on offer.

As a retired railway signaller with Network Rail I would recommend the railway as a career for former armed forces personnel.
When I first joined the railway in 2002 my signalling line manager was an ex-Scots Guards sergeant and his assistant manager was ex-Royal Marines. When my line manager retired he was replaced by an ex-RAF squadron leader. Eight other signallers in my own operational area were all former service personnel from the Army, Navy & RAF.
The way the railway trains its personnel and works operationally is similar to the way the military works and so former servicemen or women would have the right transferable skills that would give them a good career. I would recommend people to look up the Network Rail vacancies online and see what's on offer.
As recommended by former members of 79 RAILWAY SQN RCT/RLC, or not!!!!!

As one of my ex Railway Sqn mates stated, it's like being in the Army being buggered about, fed on sh!t and kept in the dark.

The only good aspect is that if your working you are earning.

Train Driving (with the right company) is where the big bucks are now.

maritime

Old-Salt
Its trying to get in, thats the problem. Have tried umpteen times over the years. Tried for Northern rail only last January. Confirmed i Passed the tests, but got a generic response later on, 'you were unsuccessful this time'blaa blaa blaa.

ugly

LE
Its trying to get in, thats the problem. Have tried umpteen times over the years. Tried for Northern rail only last January. Confirmed i Passed the tests, but got a generic response later on, 'you were unsuccessful this time'blaa blaa blaa.
Keep at it

Polyester

War Hero
I always fancied being a freight train driver, looks like a fairly interesting living. Quite often see a freight train near where I live loaded up with Tesco or Stobart containers going up to Inverness/Elgin and I always imagine the scenery from the cab on the way up from Perth must be mega.

Class 66

War Hero
I am a freight train driver. For someone who has done a full career and got a pension, you really are making hay whilst the sun shines. The rewards are good, good salary, good pension and an excellent saving scheme called Brass. Having said that it is a Dull job, i am doing it because I am in the last chance saloon ( age 59), for someone younger who has not done a full career, all the above apply but as i said it is Dull, capital D.

Class 66

War Hero
Learn the job description (TORS) word for word, when applying make sure you get as many of the Drivers TORS into your application as possible. Also when interviewed get as many TORS into your answers as possible, do not make the mistake of trying to impress the interviewer with some of the sexy stuff you have done in the military that the interviewer does not understand or care about. Stay ON message throughout! Treat your learning of the job description as a lesson plan.

Latest Threads