Railcards - various questions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by MAD_FERRET, Mar 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all - me and Mrs Madferret are sorting out easter travel, and astounded by the cost of rail travel nowadays - one thing l remember having many moons ago was a Railcard, so...

Are Railcards still available?

How much do they cost?

Can my wife get one also?

Can l get hold of them in BFG (they are for uk travel)?

Many thanks to any railcard gurus out there!

2. Edited to add: assuming you are serving (Regular)

3. MY PLEASURE

4. Cheers my dears and yep still in - although every day l ask why........

5. Evening All!

Just a quick follow-up question to the original ones. At what age to children become eligible for these; is it 16?

Many thanks

Berlin

6. I found out the other day that HM Forces Railcards are only valid for tickets that originally cost £12+ during the normal peak/commuter times, apart from during July and August. Still worth it at £15 though imo.

7. What percentage saving do you get with a railcard on rail fares in the UK?

8. With the 16-25 railcard it was a 1/3 off full fare.

9. 33% off all fares plus the ability to use off peak tickets during peak hours with a forces railcard.

Cost £15 from the RAO Dept, you sign for one and it comes out of your next months wage, turn up with a passport photo and you're good.

The family avaliability is a tenuous one as it simply states 'close family member'. The RAO Dept here told me about one guy who got one for his mum and they let him have it for 2 reasons:

1. Being ballsy enough to ask
    2. It didnt say he couldn't in the text

10. I'm sending Mr Boots in to see his clerk about getting son 1, 17yrs old, a railcard, I've printed off a lush pic of said son but will the railcard need an original signature?