Rail Travel

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by StabTiffy2B, Aug 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all in Finance Land,

I've just been offered a job in the big smoke which I'd be silly to turn down. While the commute will be a pain in the arrse, the benefits of jumping two grades, extra cash and being able to throw abuse at London based arrsers, more than makes up for it.

I am, however, a tightarrse and my initial research on train tickets has not been good. £3500 for rail on its own and £4400 for a travel card for the year. Has anyone got any money saving tips when it comes to season tickets?

2. If you’re a contactor and get paid through an umbrella company you can claim it all back against tax plus food expenses, which is what I do.

If you’re on a permanent contract then as far as I know, you’re feked…
  3. Hide in the loo everytime a conductor comes round? Works for me, although it might get a bit dull doing that for a year...
  4. That's like the oldest trick in the book. Like, predates books. PARCHMENT! I don't believe you could get away with that.

Because I travel mainly late in the evenings, when ticket offices close, I keep a mullered note on me, and claim I couldn't feed it into the machine, therefore unable to purchase a ticket. Most they do is make you buy a ticket on the train, fair enough I suppose, I was caught.