Rail Travel

Afternoon all in Finance Land,

I've just been offered a job in the big smoke which I'd be silly to turn down. While the commute will be a pain in the arrse, the benefits of jumping two grades, extra cash and being able to throw abuse at London based arrsers, more than makes up for it.

I am, however, a tightarrse and my initial research on train tickets has not been good. £3500 for rail on its own and £4400 for a travel card for the year. Has anyone got any money saving tips when it comes to season tickets?

Cheers,

Stabby.

G

Goku

If you’re a contactor and get paid through an umbrella company you can claim it all back against tax plus food expenses, which is what I do.

If you’re on a permanent contract then as far as I know, you’re feked…

Hide in the loo everytime a conductor comes round? Works for me, although it might get a bit dull doing that for a year...

Cowhead said:
Hide in the loo everytime a conductor comes round? Works for me, although it might get a bit dull doing that for a year...
That's like the oldest trick in the book. Like, predates books. PARCHMENT! I don't believe you could get away with that.

Because I travel mainly late in the evenings, when ticket offices close, I keep a mullered note on me, and claim I couldn't feed it into the machine, therefore unable to purchase a ticket. Most they do is make you buy a ticket on the train, fair enough I suppose, I was caught.