Rail Fares up 6.2% from January

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DeltaDog, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand that train networks are expensive to run, train operators exist to make a profit, overcrowding is a potential issue and it makes sense to charge as much as people will pay for tickets.

However, the cost of tickets seems insane to me. Thousands per quarter for some commuters. And for longer distances, it's often much cheaper to fly.

2. So RPI is used when they want to shaft us with increases and CPI is used when they want to shaft us by reducing our pensions.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I did a Unix course at IBM in London a few years ago and they gave their staff interest free loans to pay for their season tickets as it was so expensive, so god knows how they are managing to afford it now.
  4. It's some time since I went to London for work but I reckon my last peak return to Kings cross from Wakefield was about £260 in standard class. Can't for the life of me see why it costs the same as an all inclusive week in Shagascruff.
  5. Trains are for poor people.
  6. You reckon?
  7. Not at the bloody prices they charge - and the railways don't have to pay tax on the fuel they use like the bus companies do.
  8. Was up Luton last year and talked to bloke in the pub who showed me his train ticket £440 per month to London :(
  9. Read about the price of tickets in the uk and really couldn't believe what you lot are willing to put up with.

For the price of a normal yearly ticket for a 50 mile commute into London I can get a First Class yearly ticket to travel on every single train anywhere in Germany.

There is something badly wrong with the UK "public" transport system.
  10. Yup, a few instances of paying those fares will leave you poor.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. An annual ticket into London costs around £5k from where I live.
  12. Timbuktu?
  13. Your not wrong!
  14. Only way is to book well ahead and if travelling at weekends get an economy ticket and upgrade to first for £10
  15. The FCO also do interest free season ticket loans. I don't know about the rest of the London-based CS.