Rail Fares up 6.2% from January

S

syledis

I did a Unix course at IBM in London a few years ago and they gave their staff interest free loans to pay for their season tickets as it was so expensive, so god knows how they are managing to afford it now.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
It's some time since I went to London for work but I reckon my last peak return to Kings cross from Wakefield was about £260 in standard class. Can't for the life of me see why it costs the same as an all inclusive week in Shagascruff.

Not at the bloody prices they charge - and the railways don't have to pay tax on the fuel they use like the bus companies do.

Was up Luton last year and talked to bloke in the pub who showed me his train ticket £440 per month to London :(

Read about the price of tickets in the uk and really couldn't believe what you lot are willing to put up with.

For the price of a normal yearly ticket for a 50 mile commute into London I can get a First Class yearly ticket to travel on every single train anywhere in Germany.

There is something badly wrong with the UK "public" transport system.

Timbuktu?

S

syledis

Only way is to book well ahead and if travelling at weekends get an economy ticket and upgrade to first for £10

M

Mr_Tigger

I did a Unix course at IBM in London a few years ago and they gave their staff interest free loans to pay for their season tickets as it was so expensive, so god knows how they are managing to afford it now.
The FCO also do interest free season ticket loans. I don't know about the rest of the London-based CS.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Only way is to book well ahead and if travelling at weekends get an economy ticket and upgrade to first for £10
You can get good deals when booked well in advance but if you're going at peak time at short notice you've no chance. The same scruffy old trains, same over-priced food and drinks.

I met an Australian bird (Milf) on the train from bath to London a couple of years ago. Fair old rattler she was and not bad looking. She was recovering from having had treatment for breast cancer and was basically screwing her way around UK. That train fare was worth every penny.

Read about the price of tickets in the uk and really couldn't believe what you lot are willing to put up with.

For the price of a normal yearly ticket for a 50 mile commute into London I can get a First Class yearly ticket to travel on every single train anywhere in Germany.

There is something badly wrong with the UK "public" transport system.

Isn't the German railway nationalised? If so, maybe there lies the answer?

There was a report the other day about a London Fireman, he moved out of his 2 bedroom London flat and has bought a 4 bed house in Lancashire. All round he says he is better off by commuting.

It seems to me if you work in London you're fucked any way you look at it.