Rail fares to rise above the rate of inflation!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is getting beyond a joke. We have the highest rail fares in Europe and what are we getting for our money? Dirty, smelly old diesels that are falling apart! A train service that occasionally runs to timetable and a bunch of fat-cat shareholders trousering any profit instead of investing for the future.

Is it time to pull the rug out from the private companies and force them to improve services or is re-nationalisation the answer?

Would love to see some franchises taken back, but the drama is who do you replace them with. The thought of Government employed jobsworths running the tracks would see me take to my bike!

Don't like the price of rail fares?
Buy a car.

I couldn't care less what you have to pay, I don't ride on trains so why should I have to subsidise your travel costs through taxation?

Don't want to pay, find yourself an alternative.

You lot really are being done over.

Yearly ticket for something like a 50mile trip into London costs about £3,000

For the same price I can get a Bahn100 ticket which lets me travel anywhere on any train (plus buses and trams) in Germany and as often as I want.

How do the UK companies justify the prices? Or do they even bother and just take you all for mugs?

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Would love to see some franchises taken back, but the drama is who do you replace them with. The thought of Government employed jobsworths running the tracks would see me take to my bike!
The tracks are run by "government employed jobsworths". It is the train operating companies (TOC's) who decide by how much they will rip their customers off!

For the price of a peak return from Wakefield to London I could buy a weeks all inclusive holiday.
But why would you want to spend a week in Grimsby?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You lot really are being done over.

Yearly ticket for something like a 50mile trip into London costs about £3,000

For the same price I can get a Bahn100 ticket which lets me travel anywhere on any train (plus buses and trams) in Germany and as often as I want.

How do the UK companies justify the prices? Or do they even bother and just take you all for mugs?
Indeed we are mugs, mugs with no alternative. Lots of lovely regional airports would be good. It can't be right that I can fly to Spain cheaper than a peak return to London.

Wait for this one - on this morning's UK radio news programme, R4, one po-faced official remarked that in some instances fares were being raised to DISCOURAGE folks from using the train(s).
Platforms that are now proving to be too short to cater for current peak travel times, expensive outlay to replace aging stock being two of the reasons cited.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wait for this one - on this morning's UK radio news programme, R4, one po-faced official remarked that in some instances fares were being raised to DISCOURAGE folks from using the train(s).
Platforms that are now proving to be too short to cater for current peak travel times, expensive outlay to replace aging stock being two of the reasons cited.
That is taking the piss! While the train companies are, in the main, private companies, but they are providing a national service.

If a train company genuinely used the excuse of higher fares to discourage passengers then they should be forced to put on more trains or have their licence withdrawn.

The train companies are there to provide a public service - OK to make a profit also but if they can't do both then time to pack in.

For the statistically orientated, UK rail fares have risen 225% since 1995. That does not include this year's, it might be 3% but then again it could be 6%.

If a train company genuinely used the excuse of higher fares to discourage passengers then they should be forced to put on more trains or have their licence withdrawn.

That is their out of the box thinking rationale. We haven't the money to invest in the station or rail infrastructure to upgrade as passenger numbers increase, so let's try and discourage those from travelling at peak business commuter hours.

they should be forced to put on more trains or have their licence withdrawn.
The train companies are there to provide a public service - OK to make a profit also but if they can't do both then time to pack in.

Like MP's give a hoot despite their soundbites. Remind me when an MP last paid for a fare?

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That is taking the piss! While the train companies are, in the main, private companies, but they are providing a national service.

My local company, Northern Rail, recently posted 42 million pound profit but are content to shunt people around in 1980's DMU 142 Pacers. A train that was obsolete 15 years ago! They also want to close booking offices and get rid of guards from the trains, adding thousands to the unemployment queues. Well done Northern Rail, **** your customers, **** your staff, but don't **** with your shareholders!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For the statistically orientated, UK rail fares have risen 225% since 1995. That does not include this year's, it might be 3% but then again it could be 6%.
Don't forget, the 3% rise is only for "regulated" tickets; annual season tickets, etc. Local daily, weekly and others can rise by however much the train operating company wish to levy. At least Dick Turpin and Robin Hood only stole from the rich!

Well admittedly it's a long distance peasant wagon but - Megabus? They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Latest Threads