Rahaf al-Qunun: Saudi teen granted asylum in Canada

Canada is already on the naughty step with KSA after commenting on human rights issues in the country.
There's a thread on it here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/grizzly-bears-vs-camels.285028/

Brief summary, Canada made a statement about some Saudi citizens who have relatives in Canada. Saudi Arabia massively over-reacted and broke off diplomatic and trade relations with Canada and expelled the Canadian ambassador.

Press speculation is that Saudi Arabia was already upset about international criticism and decided that Canada was small enough that it was safe to try to make an "example" out of us. That has backfired on them as the public reaction here was puzzlement followed by disinterest.

The above took place before the Saudis took to dismembering journalists with bone saws (that we know of).

As noted at the above link, some of the Saudi sensitivity over the issue may be the result of news reports that said the Saudis were torturing female political prisoners, including being raped by prison guards.

My understanding was that the girl in question in this case had asked for asylum in Australia, but I haven't seen anything which said they had given a definite answer on it. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees had been talking to several countries, and had asked Canada to accept her. Canada agreed to the request and she is apparently on her way here. From the news reports it appears that Canada was the first country to give the UNHCR a definite answer.

Edit to add link: Canada will grant asylum to Saudi woman fleeing alleged abuse: Trudeau | CBC News

(...) Now if the Saudis cancel the LAV upgrade contract with Lockheed Canada then it might get interesting.
I understand the Saudis are behind on paying their bills on this contract and have been for some time. I don't know if this is routine for the Saudis, whether this is a political statement, or whether they are short of cash. So far this has been swept under the rug but there may be a limit to how much can be delivered to them without them paying for it.

Mate I admire you optimism
Quite so. Saffer tried claiming asylum based on the shit going on in the country. SA regime had a little cry to the Canadian govt that it was so unfair and they folded like wet toilet paper. Deported the bloke and revoked his asylum status.

Apparently not the right kind of 'refugee/asylum claimant'.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun has arrived in Toronto. She was met by Canada's foreign minister who made various nice sounding noises for the press but did not say anything of substance and did not let the press talk to Miss al-Qunun. It looks like the intention is to prevent the press from turning the incident into a circus.
Saudi teen on the run from her family arrives in Canada | CBC News
A Saudi teen who was granted asylum in Canada after fleeing from her allegedly abusive family has arrived in Canada.

(...) Al-Qunun, wearing a hoodie emblazoned with the word Canada, waved to reporters as she walked through Toronto's Pearson International Airport, but did not comment on her arrival in Canada.

She was accompanied by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, who said al-Qunun will be going to her unspecified "new home."
Allegedly her father was trying to force her into an arranged marriage.
Al-Qunun says her father physically abused her and tried to force her into an arranged marriage.
There is no information on where she is staying or what her next steps are.

There are a couple of videos embedded in the news story which show her arriving and meeting the foreign minister. She smiled but said nothing and then left after which the foreign minister made a short speech containing standard diplomatic platitudes. The videos are not really worth watching unless you just want to see the young girl arrive.

This additional news story doesn't contain much of interest in terms of solid news but the reporter mentions in passing that the girl's father is a high-ranking Saudi government official, which adds a rather interesting twist to the whole affair.
Canada should not turn Saudi teen into a 'political football,' says former ambassador | CBC Radio

Somehow I think it will be a long time before she considers attending the KSA embassy for a cup of tea and to return her passport.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun has arrived in Toronto. She was met by Canada's foreign minister who made various nice sounding noises for the press but did not say anything of substance and did not let the press talk to Miss al-Qunun. It looks like the intention is to prevent the press from turning the incident into a circus.
Saudi teen on the run from her family arrives in Canada | CBC News

Allegedly her father was trying to force her into an arranged marriage.

There is no information on where she is staying or what her next steps are.

There are a couple of videos embedded in the news story which show her arriving and meeting the foreign minister. She smiled but said nothing and then left after which the foreign minister made a short speech containing standard diplomatic platitudes. The videos are not really worth watching unless you just want to see the young girl arrive.

This additional news story doesn't contain much of interest in terms of solid news but the reporter mentions in passing that the girl's father is a high-ranking Saudi government official, which adds a rather interesting twist to the whole affair.
Canada should not turn Saudi teen into a 'political football,' says former ambassador | CBC Radio
I find this rather strange. What’s the point in all this virtue signalling if you don’t turn it into a media circus? Snowflake 101, Canada.

Doubt it, Canada does not have the same grade of religious fanatic types that Europe attracts like a magnet, it seldom happens over here as we don’t tolerate religious crime. Unlike other nations, Canada doesn’t seem to pander to them, they prosecute them and certain groups don’t bother coming here when countries like the UK will change laws, traditions, etc, to make them feel welcome.

Canadian imam: Saying ‘Merry Christmas’ is worse than murder
Younus Kathrada tells youths in British Columbia they should be offended by tenets of Christianity, with which there is ‘enmity,’ adds: ‘I’m not saying go out and just kill them’

Somehow I think it will be a long time before she considers attending the KSA embassy for a cup of tea and to return her passport.
No, no, no. You misunderstand us mister. Koshoggi was a bad man who threw himself on a bone saw that was arranged in the Consul-General's residence as a piece of conceptual art. He was not a good Muslim. I invite our sister to our consulate to be cut into tiny little peieces discuss her case. We have a private aircraft ready to take her back, and head, and limbs to the Land of the Guardian of the two Holy Sites. Honest mister.

Younus Kathrada tells youths in British Columbia they should be offended by tenets of Christianity, with which there is ‘enmity,’ adds: ‘I’m not saying go out and just kill them’

Ya, Canada is such a shïtehole for allowing freedom of speech and religion, what are they thinking? Good source for the article, no bias there, no siree......

Ya, Canada is such a shïtehole for allowing freedom of speech and religion, what are they thinking? Good source for the article, no bias there, no siree......
How frustrating for you that a video of the imam actually availing himself of said freedom of speech to voice said incitement is embedded in said article.
How unfair to you that facts get in the way of your agenda.

It was taken from her by a saudi diplomat at Bankock airport - according to BBC. Hence the whole barracading herself in hotel.

How frustrating for you that a video of the imam actually availing himself of said freedom of speech to voice said incitement is embedded in said article.
How unfair to you that facts get in the way of your agenda.
I have no agenda sorry to say, you just can’t seem to grasp that Canada upholds freedoms that other countries don’t and the average citizens are not frothers. Personally I find what he said revolting and disturbing , but I abide by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms which this country is based on, sorry if that offends you.

Excerpt from a fascinating article by a Canadian Muslim of Pakistani origin on the problem of extremism in Canada and the way the state allows it a platform.

"There were also small signals that all was not well with the Muslim communities in Canada, especially those of Pakistani origin. For example, the mother of one of my children’s classmates of Pakistani origin, asked me why my kids sang the Canadian national anthem when it is haram, forbidden. Upon asking where she got that information, she confessed that the imam of the local mosque had told the congregation that it was against the faith to sing the national anthem, or, indeed, to show loyalty to Canada.

Upon investigation, we discovered that some mosques were giving sermons against loyalty to Canada and at other places; the sermons were different in English and Arabic, the English version being toned down. Added to this disagreeable situation was the fact that many immigrants were enforcing cultural values and ideas that were at odds with Canada’s established traditions of democracy, freedom, and equality. No government or other authority seemed to contest any of this, and so these messages and teachings began to spread in the communities that had been subject to such instruction."

The Rise of Islamic Extremism In Canada - Mackenzie Institute

Last edited:
It was taken from her by a saudi diplomat at Bankock airport - according to BBC. Hence the whole barracading herself in hotel.
Well, I doubt she'll meet them when they so kindly return it?

Fascinating article by a Canadian Muslim of Pakistani origin on the problem of extremism in Canada and the way the state provides it with a platform.

The Rise of Islamic Extremism In Canada - Mackenzie Institute
Yes, it is was quite fascinating the first time I read it 7 years ago, not exactly an up to date article, but none the less it was interesting. If you wish to start a thread on Canada enabling müslims to take over the country, I would quite happily participate. This one is about giving refuge to Saudi girl looking for freedom as has been previously pointed out by others, pretty simple.

This one is about giving refuge to Saudi girl looking for freedom as has been previously pointed out by others, pretty simple.
Glad you are aware of the subject of this thread. So, why did you try and divert it to America's treatment of the IRA?
"The IRA was fully embraced by Americans on American soil to fund raise, plan attacks, etc, yet how many attacks did they carry out there again? You live in a glass house it seems....."

Last edited:
Glad you are aware of the subject of this thread. So, why did you try and divert the thread ot America's treatment of the IRA?
"The IRA was fully embraced by Americans on American soil to fund raise, plan attacks, etc, yet how many attacks did they carry out there again? You live in a glass house it seems....."
If you followed the thread, you will see that I agreed with the poster who brought the fact up the thread was being diverted by myself and another poster at which point I ceased. Guess I should have kept going then eh? Like I said, if the well-being of Canada getting taken over is so important to you, start another thread.

Latest Threads