Rahaf al-Qunun: Saudi teen granted asylum in Canada

Rahaf al-Qunun: Saudi teen granted asylum in Canada

Media captionThe #SaveRahaf campaign went viral after Rahaf started tweeting about her plight for asylum
A Saudi woman who fled her family and became stranded at Bangkok's main airport is flying to Canada after being granted asylum status.
Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, had been trying to reach Australia via Bangkok, but was initially told to return to Kuwait, where her family were waiting.
She refused to fly back and barricaded herself into her airport hotel room, attracting international attention.
She said she had renounced Islam, which is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.
The UN's refugee agency has said it considers her to be a legitimate refugee.
Refugee status is normally granted by governments, but the UNHCR can grant it where states are "unable or unwilling to do so", according to its website.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters: "Canada has been unequivocal that we will always stand up for human rights and women's rights around the world. When the UN made a request of us that we grant Ms al-Qunun asylum, we accepted."
Canada has previously angered Saudi Arabia after calling for the release of detained women's rights activists in the country - prompting Riyadh to expel Canada's ambassador and freeze all new trade.

It's not often that I'd agree with Trudeau, but what he did here is right.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that the lass should have some protection from the stone age men that run her counrty, I can't help thinking that Canada may face a bit of retribution in the next few months.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that the lass should have some protection from the stone age men that run her counrty, I can't help thinking that Canada may face a bit of retribution in the next few months.
Canada is already on the naughty step with KSA after commenting on human rights issues in the country.

She might still get the good news in Canada, between terrorism and honour killings take your pick

Purely from a mother's perspective, good luck to the wench, she deserves a fresh start, she's got this far, here's hoping her new life starts soon.:applaud:

She might still get the good news in Canada, between terrorism and honour killings take your pick
Doubt it, Canada does not have the same grade of religious fanatic types that Europe attracts like a magnet, it seldom happens over here as we don’t tolerate religious crime. Unlike other nations, Canada doesn’t seem to pander to them, they prosecute them and certain groups don’t bother coming here when countries like the UK will change laws, traditions, etc, to make them feel welcome.

Doubt it, Canada does not have the same grade of religious fanatic types that Europe attracts like a magnet, it seldom happens over here as we don’t tolerate religious crime. Unlike other nations, Canada doesn’t seem to pander to them, they prosecute them and certain groups don’t bother coming here when countries like the UK will change laws, traditions, etc, to make them feel welcome.
There was a spate of killings of Canadian service personnel, including a guard at the nation war memorial in Ottawa by Alans Snackbar fanatics (both killers got the good news PDQ). Having said that Canada is a big place and RCMP world standard police force, she may have to watch her 6 if she travels out of Canada though.

I'd like think that will stay true, but I suspect it won't be long until you start to get the same problems as we have over here, it only takes a few rent a gobs to start trying their luck with the legal system and a few will meaning but utterly naive idiots get involved until those in power will crumble. Im betting once they can increase the range of a rubber dinghy by a few thousand miles your navy will be employed as a taxi service too

There was a spate of killings of Canadian service personnel, including a guard at the nation war memorial in Ottawa by Alans Snackbar fanatics (both killers got the good news PDQ). Having said that Canada is a big place and RCMP world standard police force, she may have to watch her 6 if she travels out of Canada though.
That incident in Ottawa gave rise to one of the finest cartoons I've ever seen. It still touches me deeply.

IMG_0711.JPG

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's really a big **** You to MBS and the Saudi government. The Saudis were getting their knickers in a twist already and this will just add to it.

Now if the Saudis cancel the LAV upgrade contract with Lockheed Canada then it might get interesting.

I am quite aware of the killings that have taken place, (you forgot the Toronto Greek town attack last summer), but they are an anomaly of single players,not groups. In my opinion, Canada is used as a kinda r&r place for those types, they don’t rock the boat to draw attention to themselves. There has been more violence originating from the FLQ and native groups (Oka for example)in Canada’s past than by immigrants of a certain persuasion. We are not immune here to radical beliefs, but I would be totally ignorant to dismiss the idea that something of a large scale couldn’t happen. And btw, the RCMP of today is not the same as it once was, it’s tainted and has more trouble recruiting than the Army does.....

I'd like think that will stay true, but I suspect it won't be long until you start to get the same problems as we have over here, it only takes a few rent a gobs to start trying their luck with the legal system and a few will meaning but utterly naive idiots get involved until those in power will crumble. Im betting once they can increase the range of a rubber dinghy by a few thousand miles your navy will be employed as a taxi service too
All it takes is for a would be immigrant/refugee/migrant to scrape up the price of air fare, fly to Canada, make a claim and they’re here for a while at least. Some have already tried taking on the legal system to benefit themselves and it didn’t work out that well for them, so not a huge worry. Naive idiots are in power right now and the flood never happened, keep in mind the Canadian government listens more to its people more than for instance the UK does.

Men? Please don't associate these retards with the masculine sense. Christ, I almost sounded French then but I think I got away with it...

All it takes is for a would be immigrant/refugee/migrant to scrape up the price of air fare, fly to Canada, make a claim and they’re here for a while at least. Some have already tried taking on the legal system to benefit themselves and it didn’t work out that well for them, so not a huge worry. Naive idiots are in power right now and the flood never happened, keep in mind the Canadian government listens more to its people more than for instance the UK does.
Mate I admire you optimism

Latest Threads