RAF's newest transport aircraft named Atlas

Ministry of Defence said:
The RAF's next generation military transport aircraft has officially been named Atlas at the Royal International Air Tattoo, which is taking place at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire.

More...

I wonder if it will actually fly this year, or whether it will sit on the ground as usual, surrounded by embarrassed RAF Media Ops and Airbus PR teams.

Not Grizzly then.

They had a formation of 5 of them over France last month.

Anything for a photo opportunity for les frogs.

They should have called it Nelly the elephant, but then again this thing has already being involved in a circus.

Would this be the same ATLAS name that was announced last year?

Nice to see MOD is saving money by recycling press announcements.

Coming next week, MOD-rss announces that the Battle Britain has begun.

Would this be the same ATLAS name that was announced last year?

Nice to see MOD is saving money by recycling press announcements.

Coming next week, MOD-rss announces that the Battle Britain has begun.
And its announced a few days after the AAC is shrunk, bastard crabs.....:sunny:

How much is the price on the contract and how much will we really be paying ?

I worked on Hercs in 1970, fourty odd years is not bad so maybe its time they got replaced, excellent kite though.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
too expensive to send anywhere for risk of getting damaged and the c17 is more capable so once again another RAF procurement success.

sorry did I say RAF I meant BAE

I did like the comment about 'showing how we can work with our European partners to deliver etc etc'. Deliver what? An overpriced late project?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Atlas carried the world on his shoulders.

Does this imply that we can only afford a single aircraft and it will have to carry the entire burden of supply?

Wordsmith

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
do they come as part of tranche 2?

too expensive to send anywhere for risk of getting damaged and the c17 is more capable so once again another RAF procurement success.

sorry did I say RAF I meant BAE
I was impressed with the tests to demonstrate its much touted better rough field performance than a Herc that had to be abandoned when the thing sunk into the grass… Doh!

Needless to say, being AIRBUS, the tests were pronounced a great sucess.