RAF's new C-17 makes its first delivery to Helmand

New Landrover delivered to Bulford.......no shit!

Gives the RAF global reach eh? I s'pose they will be OK for rescuing civvy contractors.

Does the delivery of this aircraft, important capability though it is, really warrant a comment from the Chief of the Air Staff? I cannot imagine CGS adding a soundbite to the delivery of a new armoured vehicle/weapon. Or is it that the RAF have to bust a gut to be seen to be relevant at the moment? They always were very good at the 'media ops' side.

Perhaps the RAF Regt should have a live ticker feed that counts every time they raise the barrier at KAF...

So it will be de commissioned next week and scrapped

You will note however that these were never in the Air Staff plan...

I believe the greater part of the C130 fleet were bought out of the Army budget, as the RAF did not see the need....!

The C-130 was originally rejected, as the Argosy and Belfast were deemed suitable for UK Defence needs. How times change.

Be grateful there's enough money in the pot to buy C-17s ... it's a long way to walk.

The original plan was to buy 8 when we decided the C17 was the best tool for the job but dave recently decided not to order the eigth as cost cutting so we'll have 7 for however many years they serve for as well as the A400 whenever it gets working / delivered and goodbye to the Hercs around 2021.