RAF's new C-17 makes its first delivery to Helmand

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. New Landrover delivered to Bulford.......no shit!
  3. Gives the RAF global reach eh? I s'pose they will be OK for rescuing civvy contractors.
  4. Arnt they on Loan from the Yanks ? ....so not really RAF's newest Aircraft ?
  5. Does the delivery of this aircraft, important capability though it is, really warrant a comment from the Chief of the Air Staff? I cannot imagine CGS adding a soundbite to the delivery of a new armoured vehicle/weapon. Or is it that the RAF have to bust a gut to be seen to be relevant at the moment? They always were very good at the 'media ops' side.
  6. Perhaps the RAF Regt should have a live ticker feed that counts every time they raise the barrier at KAF...
  7. the first 4 were leased iirc but they were purchased when no 5 was delivered and no 6 ordered
  8. So it will be de commissioned next week and scrapped
  9. No - we own them
  10. You will note however that these were never in the Air Staff plan...

I believe the greater part of the C130 fleet were bought out of the Army budget, as the RAF did not see the need....!
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The C-130 was originally rejected, as the Argosy and Belfast were deemed suitable for UK Defence needs. How times change.

Be grateful there's enough money in the pot to buy C-17s ... it's a long way to walk.
  12. Nah smashed to pieces by a bulldozer.
  13. The original plan was to buy 8 when we decided the C17 was the best tool for the job but dave recently decided not to order the eigth as cost cutting so we'll have 7 for however many years they serve for as well as the A400 whenever it gets working / delivered and goodbye to the Hercs around 2021.
  14. bit before that, the k's are heading out by next year and the j's schedule got brought forward to around 2016 due to us flying the arse out of them.