RAF's largest ever aircraft arrives in the UK

Ministry of Defence said:
The first of the RAF's future strategic tanker aircraft (FSTA) arrived in the UK for the first time today. The UK's largest ever military aircraft will be known as 'Voyager'.

More...

Rented for £400million a year. Bargain.

Going to work out about the same price as a Type 45 Destroyer (each aircraft) over their lifespan aren't they?

Does it have triple deck wings and a pram style under carriage? Never mind, I/ll google it for a shufti.

Oh, the irony.

The RAF's largest ever aircraft, just at the time the RAF's at it's smallest.

Wasn't the old Belfast the RAF's biggest-ever aircraft?

Too lazy to google the specs, as I'm sure there is a spotter here somewhere to elucidate us...

"…Voyager, a dual role air-to-air tanker and transport aircraft based around the Airbus A330 airframe, will replace the long-serving VC-10 and Tristar fleet; with the first due in service by the end of the year.…"

IIRC, we're the only people on the planet who now still operate those rather ancient aircraft. I wonder if the RAF will still be operating the A330 long after everyone else has pensioned their off too?

Rented for £400million a year. Bargain.

Going to work out about the same price as a Type 45 Destroyer (each aircraft) over their lifespan aren't they?

Never in the field of MOD procurement, was so much paid by so many for so few.

A-330

Length: 193 ft
Wingspan: 198 ft
Height: 57 ft
Wing area: 3,900 ft²
Empty weight: 275,600 lb
Max takeoff weight: 514,000 lb

C-17

Length: 174 ft
Wingspan: 169.8 ft
Height: 55.1 ft
Wing area: 3,800 ft²
Empty weight: 282,500 lb
Max takeoff weight: 585,000 lb

Short Belfast

Length: 136 ft 5 in
Wingspan: 158 ft 10 in
Height: 47 ft
Wing area: 2,466 ft²
Empty weight: 130,000 lb
Max takeoff weight: 230,000 lb

Wasn't the old Belfast the RAF's biggest-ever aircraft?

Too lazy to google the specs, as I'm sure there is a spotter here somewhere to elucidate us...
A-330

Length: 193 ft
Wingspan: 198 ft
Height: 57 ft
Wing area: 3,900 ft²
Empty weight: 275,600 lb
Max takeoff weight: 514,000 lb

C-17

Length: 174 ft
Wingspan: 169.8 ft
Height: 55.1 ft
Wing area: 3,800 ft²
Empty weight: 282,500 lb
Max takeoff weight: 585,000 lb

Short Belfast

Length: 136 ft 5 in
Wingspan: 158 ft 10 in
Height: 47 ft
Wing area: 2,466 ft²
Empty weight: 130,000 lb
Max takeoff weight: 230,000 lb
I guess that makes you the resident anorak on this thread SoI :)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And old enough to remember the Belfast.:cry:
There is one still operating HeavyLift Cargo Airlines

HeavyLift Cargo Airlines - Belfast Capabilities

HeavyLift Cargo Airlines - Belfast Specifications

When we were discussing the A400 a year or two back, we (curious Arrsers) contacted Shorts to enquire why they had not taken the opportunity to reopen the Belfast production line or indeed offer up a new model Belfast when the requirements were put out for the A400, or indeed take the chance that the repeated delays to the A400 project offered, they declined or were unable to gives us an answer.

There is one still operating HeavyLift Cargo Airlines

HeavyLift Cargo Airlines - Belfast Capabilities

HeavyLift Cargo Airlines - Belfast Specifications

When we were discussing the A400 a year or two back, we (curious Arrsers) contacted Shorts to enquire why they had not taken the opportunity to reopen the Belfast production line or indeed offer up a new model Belfast when the requirements were put out for the A400, or indeed take the chance that the repeated delays to the A400 project offered, they declined or were unable to gives us an answer.

A400M is a political plane. We're buying it to be 'good europeans' and support AIRBUS's dream of being a viable competitor to LM and Boeing in the global military market.

It's vital to AIRBUS's sales hopes for the A400M that a grown up air force like the UK's buys it, hence the enormous political pressure brought to bear to keep us in a programme neither the MOD or the RAF had any time for at the end.

Awesome. 400 million a year to rent an aircraft that will pretty much just refuel itself. Crabs have got **** all else to refuel......unless of course they are going to refit Grob Tutors with AAR capability?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A400M is a political plane. We're buying it to be 'good europeans' and support AIRBUS's dream of being a viable competitor to LM and Boeing in the global military market.

It's vital to AIRBUS's sales hopes for the A400M that a grown up air force like the UK's buys it, hence the enormous political pressure brought to bear to keep us in a programme neither the MOD or the RAF had any time for at the end.
The annoying is we had built its equivalent 30 years beforehand, and had produced a far more versatile aircraft than our Colonial cousins had in the Herc. Sigh again.

See if I've got this right....

£27.777 million every year per aircraft - and then we don't own it?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
See if I've got this right....

£27.777 million every year per aircraft - and then we don't own it?
Even better, it doesn't come with a refeauling probe so although it can refuel other aircraft, it can't take on fuel itself, nor is it fitted with widebay cargo doors in order to provide strategic cargo lift and a whole load of other things it can't do, unlike the Aussie version for example.