RAF WSOp transfer to AAC or RN aircrew???

which aircraft sees more combat or goes out looking to fight the enemy atleast ?

• Merlin

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wildcat

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Puma

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
is this possible? If so are their any consequences such as RAF aircrew being NCO's would you be demoted if you moved to AAC or NAS.

It also begs the question, why would anyone want to?
I believe that there's been a few who've followed this option after being chopped from flying training after having received their acting sgt from OACTU. Ultimately, whether an individual was allowed to transfer at all, let alone keep his rank, would be up to the service in question and, most likely, the flavour of WSOp involved.

If someone was already qualified though, I agree: why on earth would you want to transfer given that NCA is one of the best kept secrets out there in terms of job variety, pay and flying?!

In terms of the poll above, I'd suggest it all depends on what you consider 'combat' or 'fighting the enemy' actually is. Either way, it's fairly meaningless as the answer will ebb and flow based on current ops. Right now, Puma is in Afghanistan while Merlin and RN Wildcat are busy chasing Russian SSNs, IRGC fast patrol craft, and other nasties while Army Wildcat is not doing a lot.

In 5 years time, that may have changed.

Regards,
MM

I come from a army family and being called a crab is not something I aspire to. My problem with the AAC is that I'd have to be ground crew for a few years, I'd rather not. Also I'd hate to just fly cargo and ammo in a support role like some sort of glorified RLC with rotars. Need some dakka dakka.
Drop the historic baggage - it's hardly the basis for a career choice and, frankly, a bit childish.

I come from a army family and being called a crab is not something I aspire to. My problem with the AAC is that I'd have to be ground crew for a few years, I'd rather not. Also I'd hate to just fly cargo and ammo in a support role like some sort of glorified RLC with rotars. Need some dakka dakka.
Fear not; with such an attitude it is very unlikely you'd get through OASC let alone RAF OACTU. However, why pray tell, if you don't want to join the RAF, are you asking what the consequences of transferring from the RAF to the RN or AAC would be?!!!

Whatever your prejudices may be, if you want to fly as an NCO, RAF WSOp offers by far the greatest diversity of roles. As @Crash has mentioned however, you may want to consider your motivation (and grammar!) before applying to any Service; wanting to go 'dakka dakka' is unlikely to impress in an interview.

My advice would be to conduct visits to Culdrose and Cranwell to learn more about the careers and training available before making a final choice. AFCOs can help with that.

Regards and good luck,
MM

Last edited:
it was a mere joke. The branch doesn't bother me I'd happily be RAF I'm just concerned that I'd be missing the action if that makes it any easier to answer.

I'm going to RAF Cranwell in a couple weeks for aircrew tests, most information I get is from online as my local AFCO doesn't have anyone from the RAF there (no idea why)

it was a mere joke. The branch doesn't bother me I'd happily be RAF I'm just concerned that I'd be missing the action if that makes it any easier to answer.
OK, any NCA option will guarantee all sorts of interesting jobs and excitement. Just don't think about transferring at this early stage!

I'm going to RAF Cranwell in a couple weeks for aircrew tests, most information I get is from online as my local AFCO doesn't have anyone from the RAF there (no idea why)
Probably because it's not a priority area for the RAF.

There's a wealth of information on the PPRUNE website regarding OASC procedures and testing. You'll be undergo around 8 hrs of aptitude testing with only short breaks allowed as well as I think 60 mins for lunch, an interview, group tests and leadership exercises. The latter are conducted in a large hanger in groups of about 6.

Regards,
MM

I just like to know what my options are. I'm confident I'll enjoy the job, but if not I'd just like to know what I can do. Thanks anyways

Iv just bought a £50 bundle of test papers and dvds for it all. Thanks for the Info and insight.
Also brush up on the following:

1. Current affairs and your knowledge of RAF aircraft and WSOp types/roles/location for the interview.

2. Mental arithmetic (basic speed/time/distance stuff) for the aptitude and leadership tasks.

Regards,
MM