RAF Wegberg Infant Deaths

I had my baby in RAF Wegberg in 1979. We had only recently arrived from UK to Mulheim and I went to the hospital for a routine check up. I saw the Dr who looked a bit confused at the scan and asked the nurse to take me for an X-ray. On the way I confided to the nurse that I was worried because X-rays were supposed to be dangerous for unborn babies. She said ‘it won make any difference in your case’. That was how I found out. I was sent home to return a couple of days later to be induced. Not allowed to see or hold the baby, and put in a side room next to the nursery. They conducted a post mortem and we got the results 2 months later. No sex given, and they said the baby had been buried with someone else and we couldn’t find out where
I hope time has helped but I doubt it

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I had my baby in RAF Wegberg in 1979. We had only recently arrived from UK to Mulheim and I went to the hospital for a routine check up. I saw the Dr who looked a bit confused at the scan and asked the nurse to take me for an X-ray. On the way I confided to the nurse that I was worried because X-rays were supposed to be dangerous for unborn babies. She said ‘it won make any difference in your case’. That was how I found out. I was sent home to return a couple of days later to be induced. Not allowed to see or hold the baby, and put in a side room next to the nursery. They conducted a post mortem and we got the results 2 months later. No sex given, and they said the baby had been buried with someone else and we couldn’t find out where
So sorry to hear that. Such pain for you. I hope you have been able to build a life since then.

PFGEN

GCM

Stuff of nightmares, I hope the passage of time has helped but I doubt it probably ever will.

Not Wegberg but a medium detachment in Germany early 80s. 40ish pads Probably 30 or so with wives giving birth in the local area/ BMH whatever. Number of cot deaths in infancy was 5 in my 2 year posting. Problem had more depth than we knew about.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not Wegberg but a medium detachment in Germany early 80s. 40ish pads Probably 30 or so with wives giving birth in the local area/ BMH whatever. Number of cot deaths in infancy was 5 in my 2 year posting. Problem had more depth than we knew about.
As per my post very early in the thread, Private Eye reported on this about 20 years ago, and seemed to think that passing on mattresses when families moved MQ could have been partly responsible for the level of cot death being higher in military families.

Bear in mind that although it's incredibly rare now in the general populace, it wasn't in the 80s and even 90s.

As per my post very early in the thread, Private Eye reported on this about 20 years ago, and seemed to think that passing on mattresses when families moved MQ could have been partly responsible for the level of cot death being higher in military families.

Bear in mind that although it's incredibly rare now in the general populace, it wasn't in the 80s and even 90s.
Exposure to cigarette smoke probably plummeted over this period too, and Anne Frost (?) campaign on which side to put babies down on.

Latest Threads