RAF veteran who flew secret mission told it’s too dangerous to sit in Spitfire

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Pathfinder Jack, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning all,

A 91-year-old former RAF pilot who flew Spitfires in the Second World War was told he could not sit in one of the fighters at a museum because it was too dangerous.

Eric Carter is the last surviving member of Force Benedict, a secret mission to protect Murmansk, the port in northern Russia that was a crucial lifeline to the Soviets, but he was shot down at the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery near Stoke-on-Trent.

He was delighted to get the chance to inspect a Spitfire and then amused that he could not get in it. “I had to laugh to think that I couldn’t sit in a stationary Spitfire in case I got hurt,” said Mr Carter, from Worcestershire. “I used to fly those things every day fighting the Germans and...

RAF veteran who flew secret mission told it

As someone just said to me: 'Health and safety my ass.........those heroes were strapped behind a massive engine, sat on gallons of fuel, had a massive oil drum in front of them, explosives in the wings, were shot at by people determined to kill them, poor diet, no sleep, and not knowing if they would see another dawn. My god, we should be prepared to do anything for these people!'

Best wishes,

Jack.

2. Or the alternative headline "old pilot dies at museum falling out of spitfire"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Old people.......know your limits.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Also, "Old pilot leaves Spitfire reaking of piss and Worthers Originals".

• Like Like x 5
  5. Good work. That's the 1st post this year to make me actually chuckle to myself.

6. He's 91. What could
    possibly go wrong?

7. "Don't mention the war! He mentioned it once, but I think he got away with it!"

I love it, he just goes on like health and safety "my arrse", what about the luftwaffe?

8. Like the old WW11 vet states, H&S my arrse.
    Mind if it were not for the likes of him, the so called 'I know it all' and we can change the world, young of today, would not be able to post shite or take the piss.
    The barstards should have let him (under supervision), once again into the aircraft, so that he may reflect on what he helped to achieve all them years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Has nobody fired up the bus yet? I'll get the keys!

10. With recent events over the water and your username in mind, wouldn't you be better advised to keep a low profile? :)

11. What a load of rubbish, even Eric Carter says so, Radio 2 JV show. The reason he wasn't allowed to sit in it was because it doesn't have a seat in it, as the plane was a Gate Guardian and all the interior was taken out. The best bit was that he even got shot at at Liverpool, nothing new there then, by the ground crew. He has also been invited back and they will try and sort something out for him.

• Like Like x 3
  12. That's what freedom smells like young man.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Health and safety has decreed it is too dangerous to sit on the bus.

14. I have just had a rectal prolapse out of sheer unalloyed outrage.

15. The outrage should be at the state that Spitfire is in. It's hanging. (well it was last time I looked at it which admittedly was some years ago but I'd be surprised if anything had changed.)