RAF Typhoons scrambled twice in one day to intercept Russian military aircraft

Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoon fighter jets operating from Ämari Air Base in Estonia launched twice on Tuesday 25th June to intercept Russian military aircraft flying close to Estonian airspace.

Continue reading...

Ritch

LE
Just out of curiosity, does NATO fly probing flights over Russia, or any Russian controlled country, and if so why?
You're asking a question to an automated feed ...

Just out of curiosity, does NATO fly probing flights over Russia, or any Russian controlled country, and if so why?
I doubt - it's mostly satellites now. I think the risk is too high now for manned or unmanned flights with Russia, as my country found out this week..

To be fair all they are doing is flying in International Airspace, just let them come into Our space and allow the SAM controllers some Live firing practice

They had to fly twice?!! Wow...what next...they might be missing their dinner..
You must allow for the fact that RAF Compo rations have always come with a full cruet set and napkins though..

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Quite possibly the most stupid question ever asked on ARRSE. Well done you!

....and anyone out there in Arrse land who would know......
Not ‘over’ since SR71 was retired otherwise it may end up being a U2 Gary Powers incident. Other than ‘Open Skies’ that is:
OpenSkies - Wikipedia

(stand fast RQ170 and 180)

Kit like RC 135 (plus Swedes in the first example) does/do fly near their border or in international airspace that they think means they’re heading to Russia, which leads to intercepts by Russian fighters and incidents:
Russia Says It Intercepted U.S., Swedish Spy Jets Over Baltic Sea - The Moscow Times

They test our QRA and have a habit of turning off transponders: Russian ambassador summoned to explain bombers over the Channel

Not ‘over’ since SR71 was retired otherwise it may end up being a U2 Gary Powers incident. Other than ‘Open Skies’ that is:
OpenSkies - Wikipedia

(stand fast RQ170 and 180)

Kit like RC 135 (plus Swedes in the first example) does/do fly near their border or in international airspace that they think means they’re heading to Russia, which leads to intercepts by Russian fighters and incidents:
Russia Says It Intercepted U.S., Swedish Spy Jets Over Baltic Sea - The Moscow Times

They test our QRA and have a habit of turning off transponders: Russian ambassador summoned to explain bombers over the Channel

Thank you for that concise reply, my original post has now been vindicated, many thanks.

Thank you for that concise reply, my original post has now been vindicated, many thanks.
:) possibly more on the 'why' part of it and you being an ex Scaley should know why

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Worked out as to why it a stupid question yet? R Sigs, were you not?

[QUOTE="DesktopCommando, post: 9356390, member: 22554"]To be fair all they are doing is flying in International Airspace, just let them come into Our space and allow the SAM controllers some Live firing practice[/QUOTE]

Right this is something I have never got, DC this is not directed at you, it is just a question.
I get how we can draw up land territories and borders, I also understand how you can chart maritime areas. Fine, no problem.
Right, I am not sure whether much to the disdain of some daft generation z folks that the earth is NOT flat!!!!
So how do we determine airspace??? Being as we are a sphere any line up in the atmosphere would be angular with reference to the earths curvature. Therefore a country's airspace even say ten metres higher would be a greater area than it's land border.
I could do some sums and stuff but I won't. How can you divvy up air, and also how high up do we project these imaginary boundaries legitimately.
Just sounds like an excuse for a scrap to me!?!?!?!

:) possibly more on the 'why' part of it and you being an ex Scaley should know why
Ex scaley yes,..... A genny" mong", as so eloquently put by others, which is one step up from the MSO,s on camp, and treated accordingly by the DTG,s , RTG,s, and some Rodney's, and most Rupert's. Not at all privy to any information on anything more that what's in the 10 man rat packs.

Last edited:
Ex scaley yes,..... A genny" mong", as so eloquently put by others, which is one step up from the MSO,s on camp, and treated accordingly by the DTG,s , RTG,s, and some Rodney's, and most Rupert's. Not at all privy any information anything more that what's in the 10 man rat packs.
Roger, EEC these days 'Cbt Powerman' in yours:
https://www.army.mod.uk/umbraco/Surface/Download/Get/5899

Anyway, as for the 'why', have a look at the role and capability of a RC 135, then think how the info hoovered up can be used: RC-135W Rivet Joint | RAF Live

Latest Threads