RAF Typhoons patrol Libyan no-fly zone

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. At last!

A chance to justify their existence. They must have been jumping for joy when this kicked off.

Just like all the 5 star hotels in southern Italy must have been rubbing their hands in glee with the opportunity for off season trade.

Let's see ... 3 x Type Hoon and 3 x Tornado = 3000 crabs!

3. In all seriousness though. I wish them safe flights.

4. That would be pathetic even in the Naafi Bar. ^_~

5. Never waste an opportunity to wind the crabs up ;-)

6. :toilet: :biggrin:.

7. Whats the Army doing ?

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Herrick?

I presume that the Op ELLAMY crews will NOT be getting the Operational Alllowance, on the grounds that they are staying each night in decent accomodation?

9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Aghanistan? :p

Not much call for soldiers in a no fly zone!

10. If anyone should be worried its the fleet air arm right now after just being castrated, whilst we're being treated to a soapy handjob by the media and MOD.

11. The operation is being commanded by an Air Vice Marshall (presumably based in Northwood) with a Gp Capt on the 'ground' in Italy.

For 13 aircraft.

And they wonder why everyone thinks the RAF is over-manned.

12. Arnt all conflicts commanded by a vice marshall on the air side? You'd need a station commander type for media coverage, it's part of there job.

13. The Tornados and TLAMs have done away with the Libyan Airforce.

There isn't anything left to fly in the no fly zone. You could patrol the f*cker in microlights. The Battle of Britain memorial flight could now patrol Libyan airspace. The Red Arrows could patrol it in lovely tight formation and justify their existence.

The Crabs aren't policing a no fly zone; they're trying to shape SDSR.

14. And "what's the Army doing?"

I don't know - go and ask in Selly Oak.

15. So we created a zone where Lybia cant fly..... thats pretty much a policed zone to me. If we're just there to create an image for future investment, why are the yanks and frogs bothering?