RAF Tornados in seven-hour mission to defend ISAF troops in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Apr 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

If we're flying that far for a low flypast is it worth deploying the Red Arrows.
    They could astound the Taliban by looping the loop and everything.

Bet it felt longer on the ground.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Dont tell me they dropped 2 sqn at the same time and they won the war?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Do the Taliban have any dams that need busting?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It was good of the Taliban to hang around for 7 hours and 45 minutes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. As soon as Terry retake Kajaki 617 can get back to their preferred activity.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I didn't get that either, the sentence before that says they had to fly 300 nautical miles......which took seven hours and forty-five minutes. It obviously didn't so where's the story?
  8. Let's see, they were on station for 3 hours, then responded to a call for air support 300 miles away. So say about 30 mins at a cruising speed of 600 mph (just as a ball park figure, no idea what cruise speed is on the Tornado) 20 min for the flypast, 3o min back to Helman Province, an hour or so in the circuit/re-fueling. I get about 5 1/2 hours.
  9. Coo, them Tonkas can carry a whole load of thiose bomb thingys if they can drop them solidly for 7 and 3/4 hours...
  10. 7 hour flight shed load of fuel and all for a show of force? Fine happy if it saved any of the lad's lives but Christ it must have cost a few bob.
  11. I bet they had a numb arse after that length of time. But they're probably used to that ...............
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Is it not a bit worrying that the only air support for troops in contact was so far away?

I mean the Yanks call airstrikes at the drop of a hat so why didn't they have anything up didly up?
  13. 'Pilot flies plane, doesn't kill anyone'. Huge news from the waste of MOD cash that brought you such heart stopping stories as 'RAF chef cooks food' and 'RAF driver drives vehicle'.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Remiss of me, I admit.
  15. Is it just me, or does this guy remind me of Sheriff John Bunnell?

Maybe the RAF need a TV series too....call it the "World's Wildest (sic) RAF Videos"..

• Like Like x 1