RAF Tornados in seven-hour mission to defend ISAF troops in Afghanistan

Ministry of Defence said:
RAF Tornado GR4 jets from 617 'The Dambusters' Squadron have helped to defend US and Afghan forces from an insurgent attack after a marathon seven-hour flight.

More...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
If we're flying that far for a low flypast is it worth deploying the Red Arrows.
They could astound the Taliban by looping the loop and everything.

Bet it felt longer on the ground.

Do the Taliban have any dams that need busting?

Forastero

LE
"It's a marathon seven-hour, 45-minute flight and flying for that long requires a lot of fuel. We had to air-refuel four times and took on in excess of 20,000 litres of fuel each."

Eh? A seven hour ...45 min flight? Am I missing something?
I didn't get that either, the sentence before that says they had to fly 300 nautical miles......which took seven hours and forty-five minutes. It obviously didn't so where's the story?

Let's see, they were on station for 3 hours, then responded to a call for air support 300 miles away. So say about 30 mins at a cruising speed of 600 mph (just as a ball park figure, no idea what cruise speed is on the Tornado) 20 min for the flypast, 3o min back to Helman Province, an hour or so in the circuit/re-fueling. I get about 5 1/2 hours.

Coo, them Tonkas can carry a whole load of thiose bomb thingys if they can drop them solidly for 7 and 3/4 hours...

7 hour flight shed load of fuel and all for a show of force? Fine happy if it saved any of the lad's lives but Christ it must have cost a few bob.

I bet they had a numb arse after that length of time. But they're probably used to that ...............

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it not a bit worrying that the only air support for troops in contact was so far away?

I mean the Yanks call airstrikes at the drop of a hat so why didn't they have anything up didly up?

B

bokkatankie

'Pilot flies plane, doesn't kill anyone'. Huge news from the waste of MOD cash that brought you such heart stopping stories as 'RAF chef cooks food' and 'RAF driver drives vehicle'.
Oh come on it was only the cost of 20,000 litres (plus of course all the fuel used by the tankers) of fuel and whatever bombs they missed with, that is less than the allowance for one days patrolling with the SRDG

Oh come on it was only the cost of 20,000 litres (plus of course all the fuel used by the tankers) of fuel and whatever bombs they missed with, that is less than the allowance for one days patrolling with the SRDG
I like how proud the pilot looks, probably completely missing the irony of standing in front of a badge commemorating some pilots who did actually drop some ordnance on the enemy while celebrating flying really fast over an enemy with less anti air capability than your average gang of chavs on a Friday night.

I like that.

Apart from the bit about the CO getting face time with teh 'Big Boss', a chef cooking for Her Majesty in his last years of Colour Service is indeed newsworthy...

In comparison to 'flew a bit, flew low a bit (with out getting b0llocked), flew home'. Yeah, cheers Biggles.

7 hours in a Tornado chair? Well done chaps, could you at least fire a few flares and chaff next time? You know... at least try to look menacing.

Latest Threads