• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RAF Tornado loadout??

Ok, I don't know of any crab forums to ask this on so I'm asking here:

I've recently starting building model aircraft and I'm going for the modern jets. I've been researching loadouts for various ISAF jets in Afghan and I've noticed that the Tornados, and Harriers before them, never seem to carry sidewinders for self-defence. Whereas other nations jets all seem to carry them.

Does anybody know a reason behind this, or can somebody point me in the direction of somebody who might? Its just out of interest really.

Cheers,

C

StickyToffeePudding said:
Sidewinders are air-to-air missiles - simples
Yeah I see your thinking behind that one mate, but with every other nation carrying them are we being naive not to?

They obviously think its worth it.

chamooooone said:
Yeah I see your thinking behind that one mate, but with every other nation carrying them are we being naive not to?

They're sh!tting themselves that the USAF will shoot them down were as the Brits are only worried about them shooting up ground troops based, unfortunatly, on previous experience :D

Soz, that's the best I can suggest!

lol, or not lol depending on which way I look at it!

Its probably a cost thing, I dare say the missile have hours on them and if you fly them to much you have to bin them, and then buy some more!

C

chamooooone said:

They're sh!tting themselves that the USAF will shoot them down were as the Brits are only worried about them shooting up ground troops based, unfortunatly, on previous experience :D

Soz, that's the best I can suggest!
You guys actually have CAS capability?
Well then, no need to call on Uncle Sam anymore, eh? :lol:

Perhaps the AAM are to contend with 'accidental' incursions by Iranian warplanes? What aren't we being told? Insert conspiracy theory here > <

British Sidewinder missiles are only mounted when it's necessary to display a "Show of Force". At other times, they are removed because when flying through clouds, the paint flakes off and the cardboard goes soggy.

On the serious side, for the F-16 and F/A-18 the carriage of Sidewinders on the wingtips helps the computer control the stability of the aircraft and manage overall fuel economy. They help with the wingtip vortices. If you don't need to worry about bring back weight (like landing on a carrier for the Hornet) it doesn't hurt and those spots cannot be used for other weapon types, so no loss in capability to support ground troops. I don’t believe that the same situation applies to the RAF Tornado.

ECMO1 said:
On the serious side, for the F-16 and F/A-18 the carriage of Sidewinders on the wingtips helps the computer control the stability of the aircraft and manage overall fuel economy. They help with the wingtip vortices. If you don't need to worry about bring back weight (like landing on a carrier for the Hornet) it doesn't hurt and those spots cannot be used for other weapon types, so no loss in capability to support ground troops. I don’t believe that the same situation applies to the RAF Tornado.
No there's a sensible answer, cheers mate. Although I do like the tresspassing Iranian warplanes idea!

The Tonka can carry sidewinders in self defence fit, life on the missiles and also drag which reduces fuel efficiency are also a factor...if there isn't a 'threat' the bean counters will be looking for cost savings in any form

our jets carry winders because our pilots like to use them for the training capability it gives them.

we dont fit the canards, but the pilots can get various info from them and it helps with their flight sorties

Latest Threads