RAF Tornado loadout??

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by chamooooone, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I don't know of any crab forums to ask this on so I'm asking here:

I've recently starting building model aircraft and I'm going for the modern jets. I've been researching loadouts for various ISAF jets in Afghan and I've noticed that the Tornados, and Harriers before them, never seem to carry sidewinders for self-defence. Whereas other nations jets all seem to carry them.

Does anybody know a reason behind this, or can somebody point me in the direction of somebody who might? Its just out of interest really.

Cheers,

C

2. Sidewinders are air-to-air missiles - simples

3. Yeah I see your thinking behind that one mate, but with every other nation carrying them are we being naive not to?

They obviously think its worth it.

4. They're sh!tting themselves that the USAF will shoot them down were as the Brits are only worried about them shooting up ground troops based, unfortunatly, on previous experience :D

Soz, that's the best I can suggest!

5. lol, or not lol depending on which way I look at it!

Its probably a cost thing, I dare say the missile have hours on them and if you fly them to much you have to bin them, and then buy some more!

C

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I stand to be corrected by any passing sons of valhalla, but RAF Tornados have certainly had them as part of their weapon loads in the past - usually on the side of the inboard pylon closest to the fuselage on either wing.

you can see the launch rails on the pictures on the Wiki page here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavia_Tornado

7. You guys actually have CAS capability?
    Well then, no need to call on Uncle Sam anymore, eh? :lol:

8. By the way, Loadout sounds so very Airsofter-ish

9. Perhaps the AAM are to contend with 'accidental' incursions by Iranian warplanes? What aren't we being told? Insert conspiracy theory here > <

10. British Sidewinder missiles are only mounted when it's necessary to display a "Show of Force". At other times, they are removed because when flying through clouds, the paint flakes off and the cardboard goes soggy.

11. Sounds like our F-117 which cant fly in rain as the tape on the wings fails

12. It would extinguish the candles too.

13. On the serious side, for the F-16 and F/A-18 the carriage of Sidewinders on the wingtips helps the computer control the stability of the aircraft and manage overall fuel economy. They help with the wingtip vortices. If you don't need to worry about bring back weight (like landing on a carrier for the Hornet) it doesn't hurt and those spots cannot be used for other weapon types, so no loss in capability to support ground troops. I don’t believe that the same situation applies to the RAF Tornado.

14. The ones carried might just be training rounds/ seeker heads only, why waste fuel carrying something you don't need.

15. No there's a sensible answer, cheers mate. Although I do like the tresspassing Iranian warplanes idea!