RAF to fly second-hand BAe 146s

Ministry of Defence plans to buy two used BAe 146s to supplement its air transport activities in Afghanistan, with the pair to be acquired and modified under an urgent operational requirement deal.

First details of the planned purchase emerged in late December, when the MoD issued a contract notification seeking expressions of interest from potential suppliers of two "BAe 146-200 series quick change aircraft". Sources said the deal could be valued at around £6 million ($9.3 million).

The introduction of the assets could partially fill a looming capability gap caused by the gradual retirement of the Royal Air Force's remaining Lockheed Martin C-130K tactical transports and the delayed introduction of a new fleet of 22 Airbus Military A400Ms.

"The purchase of two second-hand BAe 146 aircraft, upgraded to theatre entry standard, helps to address an urgent Operation Herrick requirement for additional aircraft to enable the safe transport of troops and freight in theatre," the UK's Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) organisation said in response to questions from Flightglobal. "The aircraft will supplement the hard-working C-130 Hercules fleet in providing safe (protected) movement between bases for troops in theatre."
RAF to fly second-hand BAe 146s in Afghanistan

What a feckin' fiasco. Wonder what else they'll beg, steal or borrow?

Cheap, the type's already in service. Obviously they won't be needed post-2015, hmmm. Still, I think this is a good move unless they're getting them from Swiss Swiss Air bumpy landing at London City Airport. Our Tristars are also used.

Even the Septics buy second-hand...Harrier?

RAF to fly second-hand BAe 146s in Afghanistan

What a feckin' fiasco. Wonder what else they'll beg, steal or borrow?
A fiasco? The alternative is further delays to equipment for the front line. I for one think it's a good idea and shows that far from sitting back on diminishing capacity due to the A400M delay, they are trying to do something about it. If they maintain the aircraft to civil regs, they'll easily be able to sell them onto the civil market when they're finished with.

F

fozzy

A fiasco? The alternative is further delays to equipment for the front line. I for one think it's a good idea and shows that far from sitting back on diminishing capacity due to the A400M delay, they are trying to do something about it. If they maintain the aircraft to civil regs, they'll easily be able to sell them onto the civil market when they're finished with.

Absolutely, sounds like common sense breaking out somewhere in HQ AIR. After all, the 146 was designed for these type of ops (Hot, High, Basic strips), and the RAF already operate the type.

oldbaldy

LE
We've been flying second hand Tristars for nearly 30 years. So why so hot under the collar?

Will these two BA-146 be assessed for the cabin air contamination that so plagues this type of aircraft?

6.25 The aircraft’s manufacturer, British Aerospace/BAe Systems, acknowledges that there is a health issue associated with the fumes. While the weight of evidence to the inquiry suggests that a number of flight crew have suffered from toxicity, the Committee cannot readily accept assurances that there is no hazard associated with exposure to oil fumes in aircraft cabin air.
Although experts worldwide, and BAe, acknowlege the issue, surprise surprise, no exact link can be made between the cabin air quality problem and crew illnesses

http://ashsd.afacwa.org/docs/AustSen.pdf

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2004_04.pdf

6 million for two shonky old 146QC's...

They shouldn't be more than £1.25mil each including massive spares support.

Another good deal by the MOD...

I may be being a massive, dribbling mong here, but I can't help but think that a relavant question is:

If we need to replace the capacity lost by the Hercules going out of service, why couldn't we buy or lease some Hercs?

Edited to say: Ah, it's so that BAe can flog the new military version of the 146 as being combat-tested by the RAF. Backhanders anyone?

I may be being a massive, dribbling mong here, but I can't help but think that a relavant question is:

If we need to replace the capacity lost by the Hercules going out of service, why couldn't we buy or lease some Hercs?

Edited to say: Ah, it's so that BAe can flog the new military version of the 146 as being combat-tested by the RAF. Backhanders anyone?
BAe stopped making the 146 a decade ago. It was first made at Hatfield - now closed, then Woodford - now closed.

You're not Lewis Page are you ?

BAe stopped making the 146 a decade ago. It was first made at Hatfield - now closed, then Woodford - now closed.
No, but the article said:
It also comes a little over two years after the then-BAE Regional Aircraft organisation unveiled a proposal to adapt the 146 for military transport applications for potential customers, including the UK.

It isn't like buying a second hand car, all aircraft should have flight logs and logs of what equipment has been replaced where and when, so it's much more reliable to assume that second hand aircraft will be bought in confidence knowing it's been fully and regularly serviced.

I do a lot of aircraft acquisitions for the airline I work for. The MOD are getting stiffed if they're paying 6 mil for those 2 old bucket of bolts.

I do a lot of aircraft acquisitions for the airline I work for. The MOD are getting stiffed if they're paying 6 mil for those 2 old bucket of bolts.
Well there's a shock - the MOD paying over the odds!

Knowing the piss poor quality of "your obedient servants" in procurement, wouldn't be surprised if the MOD has to pay the seller to take them off our hands when they become surplus!

Latest Threads