RAF Teapots, Utterly, utterly useful!..............

#1
The famous Nimrod teapot..... :eek:

The spokeswoman said: "There was a minor malfunction with the hatch cover and the teapot would have been used to make it more comfortable for the crew :?

Whatever next? Where do they get these stories? Did the crew write a risk assessment prior to mis-employing the teapot? Should we all have an emergency tea pot in our hand baggage during AT flights? 8O
 
#2
I hope they emptied it first :lol:
 
#4
Infiltrator said:
What's new? Half the VC10 fleet is held together with aluminium tape etc....
I'm surprised they have enough left after patching up the Tristars
 
#5
i like the way they suggest that they were not emperilled by the malfunction but heck, they were still in a blinging Nimrod FFS!
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#6
Thats Hi Tech compared to what they bought Apollo 13 back with :oops:
 
#7
You couldn't make it up could you :D
 
#8
I missed the story of the teapot, however I should point out that all Royal Air Force personnel are highly trained & are expected to use their ingenuety at all times. Most of them are utterly utterly brilliant.
 
#9
Top_Crab said:
I missed the story of the teapot, however I should point out that all Royal Air Force personnel are highly trained & are expected to use their inginuety at all times. Most of them are utterly utterly brilliant.
Sadly not you eh Top_Crab? But then you did say most!
 
#10
My first posting was on Nimrods & I know the piece of kit that malfunctioned.
The are 2 of them,one each side of the rear fusalage & they work a bit like a revolver.The Sonobouys are loaded & after each one is dropped vertically,the next one rotates to line.These are dropped remotly from the AEOP's station.The is a plate that slides into line to cover the hole when the Sonobouy is loaded.It sounds to me that this is the bit that broke.These are often removed for line maintainance by the Armourers.(I spent a while in this line bay servicing these launchers)
Probably due to a heavy handed growbag!!
 
#12
Storeman Norman said:
Top_Crab said:
I missed the story of the teapot, however I should point out that all Royal Air Force personnel are highly trained & are expected to use their inginuety at all times. Most of them are utterly utterly brilliant.
Sadly not you eh Top_Crab? But then you did say most!
Hi Storeman Norman I'd like to let you know that INGENUITY is spelled INGENUITY! Aha - most people are utterly utterly brilliant, and I guess I must be one of them! :) Tee hee...
 
#13
stlondon said:
Storeman Norman said:
Top_Crab said:
I missed the story of the teapot, however I should point out that all Royal Air Force personnel are highly trained & are expected to use their inginuety at all times. Most of them are utterly utterly brilliant.
Sadly not you eh Top_Crab? But then you did say most!
Hi Storeman Norman I'd like to let you know that INGENUITY is spelled INGENUITY! Aha - most people are utterly utterly brilliant, and I guess I must be one of them! :) Tee hee...
What a wonderful first post stlondon :? You can spell, well done :lol:
 
#14
bossyboots said:
I hope they emptied it first :lol:
sooooooo practical bossy :D
 
#15
My pa-in-law is an ex-Crab a/c Engineering offr. He worked on piston-driven Wessexes (scary, but v' long ago) and later graduated to Harriers.

More recently, I have watched - perplexed and amused - as he has serviced Volvos.

I sent this story to him, expecting at least a "harrumph!!" - but he said (in effect) "Yeah - and . . . "

Must be the training. :wink:
 
#16
What a wonderful first post stlondon :? You can spell, well done :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, I just wanted to establish that as there isn't much else I can do! You've got to go with your forte!
 
#17
spike7451 said:
My first posting was on Nimrods & I know the piece of kit that malfunctioned.
The are 2 of them,one each side of the rear fusalage & they work a bit like a revolver.The Sonobouys are loaded & after each one is dropped vertically,the next one rotates to line.These are dropped remotly from the AEOP's station.The is a plate that slides into line to cover the hole when the Sonobouy is loaded.It sounds to me that this is the bit that broke.These are often removed for line maintainance by the Armourers.(I spent a while in this line bay servicing these launchers)
Probably due to a heavy handed growbag!!
Correct answer - that is exactly how it happened but it wasn't a few days ago as you might expect from reading in the media - it was a little while back....but why let the truth get in the way of the papers drumming up some hype after a recent tragedy?
 
#18
gijoe said:
spike7451 said:
My first posting was on Nimrods & I know the piece of kit that malfunctioned.
The are 2 of them,one each side of the rear fusalage & they work a bit like a revolver.The Sonobouys are loaded & after each one is dropped vertically,the next one rotates to line.These are dropped remotly from the AEOP's station.The is a plate that slides into line to cover the hole when the Sonobouy is loaded.It sounds to me that this is the bit that broke.These are often removed for line maintainance by the Armourers.(I spent a while in this line bay servicing these launchers)
Probably due to a heavy handed growbag!!
Correct answer - that is exactly how it happened but it wasn't a few days ago as you might expect from reading in the media - it was a little while back....but why let the truth get in the way of the papers drumming up some hype after a recent tragedy?
The is 6 things on the Nimrod that this could happen to,the cockpit mounted flare gun,the 6in Rotary rear firing flare launcher,2 rotary sonobouy launchers & 2 single sonobouy launchers.Each peice of kit is donkeys old & came out of.I believe, the AVRO Shackleton which was used before the Nimrod.Cant see what the big deal is myself,they're only designed for use at low levels of around 100-500 feet.
 

Latest Threads

Top