RAF SURF Flight misery

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by thegimp, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Basra to Kuwait, flights cancelled and 2-3 day backlog.

Loadmaster broke his ankle!!

Is this true? Does the RAF run operations in a way that one bloke twisting his ankle (no doubt playing volley ball) brings to a halt the whole fecking shooting match.

Why on earth would they need to have more than one loadmaster in the middle east !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your average Tom spends his tour being brassed up, IDF'd and IED'd etc. He gets two weeks leave and crab air has the ability to reduce his leave length from both ends

Tell me this is a bite, PLEASE
  2. Reckon you are fishing, not sure about your claim for 'bite'.

ALM's are one of the most under-manned trades in the RAF at the mo which leaves very few of them spare to just sit around the desert waiting for someone to break their ankle. Unlike many branches of the Army they don't have spare blokes who can just step in at short notice.

Also con tray to popular opinion in the Army an ALM isn't just a chief trolley dolly, they are usually the person who arranges most of the flight plans, pre-use servicing of the a/c and a large amount of other flight safety critical prep. This makes them just as important in the actual operation of an a/c as the pilots which also means they have the same limitations in hours they can work and more importantly the amount of currency training they have to carry out between operational deployments, leading to another drain on the pool of personnel. Also whilst there are other ALM's available in theatre they would no doubt have been on other tasking, tasking that is prioritised and handed down by the theatre command which is invariably Army.

Whilst it is unfortunate when delays occur (I myself was delayed on R&R by over a week due to a/c unservicabilities) the RAF is doing its best with its available resources but unforeseen problems (such as an ALM breaking his ankle) cannot be planned against, its just that, unforeseen.

As for your snide remark about "probably broken playing volleyball" I can confirm that it wasn't , but even so don't Army personnel indulge in physical training? Aren't many of the crass generalisations thrown at the RAF about 'fat techies and aircrew'? Shouldn't all members of the military take an interest in their physical fitness or should ALM's just be fat Loafers, just in case they hurt themselves, bearing in mind that no Army personnel have ever injured themselves in the gym etc ever, eh?
  3. THS I agree entirely (obviously, because I am a crab as well :meditate: )

Having been the DAMO at BAS I think I can answer this from experience:

The number of passengers allowed on any ac is limited by the rear crew available, you need at least one loadie for up to 50 pax. Any more than 50 and you should have two loadies. Due to a general lack of ALMs we are already using stewards as extra rear crew in theatre where more than 50 pax are carried. Occasional in-theatre dispensation may allow us to bend the rules from time to time, but you never fly without an ALM. In short, we don't have enough people.

I am not prepared to comment on how the move of the Hercs to Al Udeid may have affected the RAF's flexibility in this matter :pissedoff:
  4. Are you preparing yourself for a career as a bureaucrat? Where do people learn that style of English?
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

During any tour at the MOD, cynicism and double talk comes fast as a necessary self protection mechanism. Tell me I'm wrong, Bat Crab :thumright:
  6. Cheapseats, you are entirely correct.

The :pissedoff: at the end conveys my actual thoughts, I just can't reproduce them in any detail on a public forum.
  7. Unforseen generally means, badly planned and badly managed in my book.

You patently know what the issue are, I assume the brass do

Where else in the forces can the redundancy/breaking of a single individual effect so many people

No I'm not fishing, I'm in Basra with my thumb firmly up arrse like everyone other halfwit being seen of by Tony et al
  8. I agree entirely with your sentiment, however we do not have the resources to afford ourselves that much flexibility. We physically do not have enough ALMs. In a highly technical role such as aircrew the breaking of an individual can have an enormous impact, particularly where that individual is part of a small, highly trained cadre.

As the routine bearer of bad news during my time in BAS I appreciate the frustrations that these circumstances produce. Something this trivial stops me from my doing my job properly and risks me being lynched by 200 angry squaddies. That one broken ankle can have this effect is ludicrous but, in the current climate, unavoidable.
  9. I'm just venting a little BC
  10. Me too!
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You are kidding right? The RAF can be so screwed by just a single casualty? Its the Armed Forces FFS casualties are expected. Poor long term placement planning if the core business (I know I know but couldn’t spell the french thing) of the RAF cannot survive a single casualty without stopping. Utterly utterly springs to mind. Not good enough.