Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAF Strategic Bomber

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Forget Macrhrihanish as it’s Campbeltown Airport, forget Kinloss and Leuchsrs because of their status. Kinloss only really reactivated itself fully for the P-8 arrival as Lossie runway being done up last year.

so that leaves Lossie really, plus with ramp up of USN and possibly USMC personnel (to aasist Shore Patrol with protecting their P-8). Then again befpre Last year it was not that busy with just Tiffy squadrons.

Unless West Freugh as that’s out of the way still has runway and owned by QinetiQ.....

Any thoughts ??
cheers
Perhaps we need to give Gerry Anderson a call.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
Well, the Wobbly Goblin certainly wasn't invincible, as events over Serbia showed.

As an aside (and with apologies for taking the thread off-topic), I can recall reading a novel many years ago, in which US B-2s were bombing Iran (for reasons I can't remember). The Iranians hit on the idea of tracking them by pairing radars (ie a transmitter would be paired to a receiver some miles away), on the theory that a radar tramsission would be deflected by the faceting but the deflected return could be picked up by another receiver (if you see what I mean). I'm by no means a radar expert - does anyone know if this is a feasible thing?
Yes, it's known as Bi-static radar where a target is lit up by one source and the real attackers home in on the reflections using their receivers only with their transmitters turned off.

Forget Macrhrihanish as it’s Campbeltown Airport, forget Kinloss and Leuchsrs because of their status. Kinloss only really reactivated itself fully for the P-8 arrival as Lossie runway being done up last year.

so that leaves Lossie really, plus with ramp up of USN and possibly USMC personnel (to aasist Shore Patrol with protecting their P-8). Then again befpre Last year it was not that busy with just Tiffy squadrons.

Unless West Freugh as that’s out of the way still has runway and owned by QinetiQ.....

Any thoughts ??
cheers
Lovely place

I personally do not believe it, but the rumors I heard were 2 prototypes visited Scotland UK.

I assume that people overseas may think Scotland has these ‘secretive’ bases miles from anywhere unlike the reality, however, the people who said it are not fantasists and are ex USAF.

That said, I personally do not see why they would need to fly NGB prototypes to the UK during the fly off phase of the competition however, those people know more than me and forward ‘secret’ deployment without Europe knowing may have been a requirement?

Funny you should mention 2 prototypes as in my previous post they talking about building second airframe ...

slightly digressing have any of our bases got similar set up hangar wise as read this about USAF Civil Engineers and Us Army Corps of Engineers talking publicly about infrastructure construction for the B-21

cheers

Speaking about RAF Akrotiri, I believe there might be some people on this site that I owe an apology. If you were based at Akrotiri in April 1981 and if you were in the base cinema on a certain night (can't remember which, but the film was something about a mummy), you'd remember someone dropping their guts. The resulting stench was so bad that it resulted in the virtual evacuation of the theatre. That was me. Sorry. Can't remember what I'd eaten, but whatever it was, it reacted with the Keo...
Shitty Shalimar no doubt...

May well have been a dodgy gyros...
The Shalimar, which I quite liked even though it wasn't up to UK standards, contributed to more pebble dashed toilets and dropped kegs on the Akrotiri bondu, than the strip and downtown Limassol combined I reckon.

The Shalimar, which I quite liked even though it wasn't up to UK standards, contributed to more pebble dashed toilets and dropped kegs on the Akrotiri bondu, than the strip and downtown Limassol combined I reckon.
As a (at the time) healthy, clean-living young space cadet I knew nothing about downtown Limassol. Especially Heroes Square. Happily, I was based in Limassol for a while some years later when I was working on the cruise liners...

TamH70

MIA

The New Shalimar restaurant on the actual RAF base?

I found a piccy of that online. Immediately afterwards, I decided never to partake in any of their cuisine.

Because in the age of long range missiles, bomber aircraft are obsolete. Why waste mega squillions on expensive planes and pilots that will get shot down, when for the same money, you can have tons of missiles that can achieve the same effect, but for much cheaper.

Doesn't matter if they are ship, sub or land launched, it all works.

Find the enemy - doesn't need to be a plane.
Get the missile in range - doesn't need to be a plane.

Why do we still have an air force? Because a proportion of those who make the decisions on where the money goes used to be pilots. Simple as that.

So once the missile's been fired and on it's merry way what do we if the target is no longer valid ? It's moved, been destroyed by something else or been superseded by a higher priority target ?

The word you're forgetting is flexibility and value. An aircraft can be retasked mid flight, carry a variety of weapons that range in cost from the "ODFG ! Only use if you really have to " to the "Meh, Drop another one" price range. So when you absolutely have to carry out a gentrification project on a collection of mud huts you can just wang out a cheap iron bomb. Or if said mud huts turn out to have a Pantsir parked nearby you can dial up the credit card bill and stick something a little more pricy from further away.

So once the missile's been fired and on it's merry way what do we if the target is no longer valid ? It's moved, been destroyed by something else or been superseded by a higher priority target ?

The word you're forgetting is flexibility and value. An aircraft can be retasked mid flight, carry a variety of weapons that range in cost from the "ODFG ! Only use if you really have to " to the "Meh, Drop another one" price range. So when you absolutely have to carry out a gentrification project on a collection of mud huts you can just wang out a cheap iron bomb. Or if said mud huts turn out to have a Pantsir parked nearby you can dial up the credit card bill and stick something a little more pricy from further away.
If the targets no longer valid you just press the return to sender button, oh on second thoughts.

Last edited:

Mattb

LE
If ther targets no longer valid you just press the return to sender button, oh on second thoughts.
What’s really cruel is when you send a PGM with insufficient postage, so that the receiver gets blown up and has to pay the extra.

What’s really cruel is when you send a PGM with insufficient postage, so that the receiver gets blown up and has to pay the extra.
That's easily sorted. Just refuse to pay the excess and the PGM will be returned to sender.

You reprogram the mission for the missile in flight or he AI adjusts the targeting. I'm talking about things that are feasible for next gen weapons, not things that we have now.

Basing procurement on invalid assumptions of equipment limitations is a good way to ensure that you always stay one step behind your rivals.

Latest Threads