RAF silverware - Auction it here on some Crabbier site?

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by EX_STAB, Apr 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a couple of RAF silver lids from crystal dishes I think. Inherited them so don't know any provenance. Probably 1920's or 30s.

Anyway they're just the sort of thing for a charity auction.

Would they raise more on a CRAB specific site rather than ARRSE?

E-goat perhaps?

Or will they raise just as much here?

Note this thread is just for some advice - the auction thread will come later with pics and stuff!

Edit for emphasis.
  2. If you get them engraved "1918" you should be able to command a really high price....

Nobody will ever know.
  3. Nice thought! They are hallmarked silver so I suppose I can check the date. I'd best get them valued first too so as to set a sensible reserve.
  4. Any other thoughts?
  5. drill holes in the centre of them, fit little leather straps and sell them as 'original RAf finger cymbals', the bhuddists will go crazy for them!!!!
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Auction them here and E-Goat (and Rum Ration as well). Can't hurt.

Just add the proviso that it's running over multiple sites and highest overall bid wins. Job's a good un.

Edit: Or PM Blue_Sophist, he's minted :D
  7. Good idea. I'll run the auction on here and post a link on E-Goat!

8. I'll post a link on E-Goat mate, no problem. Might be worth a post in the military aircrew part of PPrune as well. Lot's of pilot type people with lots of money on there.
  9. OK but hold tight because I've got to take some pictures and get them valued first - will be a few days.

10. Why don't you try www.forcesbid.co.uk, this is a new auction site dedicated to the forces, it's no fully launched as we are still adding military items but once the PR release goes out it will bring plenty of users and that means potential buyers and plenty of them.
  11. Get them engraved with "1916" and some walt will find he's found El Dorado (no, not the crap BBC tv prog) :wink:
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Can't be genuine. I read on Arrse ages ago that RAF mess silver was the trays the ready meals came in.