RAF scrambles to intercept Russian bombers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2093759.ece

2. As predictable as night following day.....the Russkies send some aircraft over to rattle the sabre (and generate ops-room Cold War nostalgia) following a tiff. :D

3. Does that mean the whole of the British Army is going to move back to BAOR and Active Edge Exercises? Brilliant, we could do with a rest. C'mon, 3rd Shock Army!!!

4. In some ways it seems quite a measured response. Had they really wanted to put the frighteners on us then they would have sent some T-160's which have a performance similar to Concorde.

The other thing is that it may not be related to the expulsions at all. The Typhoon formally entered service last week as the Rapid response aircraft to any potential threats. Maybe Russia was just testing if this changed the reaction times of the RAF like they used to do for future reference, but got the Tornado's sent up rather than the new Typhoons :) .

5. Interesting link, which may explain why we actually reacted to the first murder... Do it once, we may smooth things over, but start treating our capital city as your security services' private assassination playground, and we start to get a bit irritated...

Another attempt

6. Sergey, you have to admit, dispatching two bombers is a very crude way of playing the politics game. Also, I would say quite a foolish move on the international stage.

7. Interesting. AFAIK, QRA North is still being done by Tornado F3, normally out of Leuchars. But Leuchars runway is being resurfaced at present.

And before someone shouts either OPSEC or BEADWINDOW, this info is all in the public domain.

8. Northern Q, is still active at Leuchars.

9. Thanks Axe, they must be launching the Q- from the AEF dispersal then.

My mistake, they launched from RAF Leeming;

Nicked off Pprune

10. What Putin could do in this situation? Of course 4 British diplomats would be expelled. But I fear that BP would face hard times in Russia.

BP owns 50% stake in huge Russian oil company TNK-BP. I would not be surprised if some 'ecological' wrongdoings would be 'found'. Also TNK-BP need licenses to drill and respective decisions could be 'postponed'.

Really it would not be a big blow to British economy but if you own BP shares then sell them just now.

I see that British government is softening its approach. As a rule expelled diplomats are give 48 hours to quit. But in this case 10 days were given. It is a good sign.

From my point of view the Russian should only expell 4 British diplomats, impose restriction on visas for British officials and that all.

11. OR, they could hand over the gentleman who decided (was ordered by Putin) to murder a British Citizen and put several others at risk by commiting what is infact a radiological attack on British soil?

Has Putin been reading Stalin's memoires and taking notes?

12. Rayc

Rayc RIP

botfeckid,

Thanks for the link.

It does explain the tough stand taken by the British govt.

But the bombers heading towards the UK is a odd thing, though it could be to tast the British AD as also maybe it has something to do with the proposed ABM, who knows?

All sorts of reasons could be there.

I saw the BBC yesterday and some experts feel the Russian retaliation would be to hurt British business.

Though I think that both sides will do some posturing for the domestic audience and then it will be back to normal.

Did the Russians ask for the extradiction of the Chechen terrorist and the British govt say nix?

13. going down the path of blaming bp, who are owned mostly by americans and have a board room controlled by americans, is a dangerous game to play for the future of the russian oil industry. Other companies will start to get nervous and likely increase their production costs forwith, not good for Russia or the companies

14. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Actually, if the international oil prices go up, it is to Russia's advantage.

That is what the experts on the BBC programme stated and said that much of Russia's rejuvenation has taken place with the hike in international oil prices!

15. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

A return to the Cold War days of posturing? An expensive exercise for all concerned - does Russia really want to spend money on gestures these days?

However, posture politics is at least fairly harmless. What continues to concern me is the arrogance of Putin, his reluctance to accept Russia's new place in the world order and the undiplomatic way he and his Government respond to International events. One serious miscalculation and we really will be "Back to the 60s".