RAF SAR Walt 2011

Discussion in 'Waltenkommando' started by MrPVRd, Apr 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chanced upon the Walt entry in ARRSEPedia. Ahh... what happy reading! It jogged my memory as well. No names, no pack-drill, as he hasn't done it again to my knowledge and it would be wrong to embarrass those who were deceived. However, if this rings any bells....

A friend of mine mentioned in passing that a relation's new partner was ex RAF. "Ahh.." I said, "how nice... so was I."
    Then the details began to unfold. The new partner was a SAR winchman, sort of retired but retained as a consultant by the RAF. Certain details did not ring true. He was calling himself a "Master Signaller" which was a defunct rank, now "Master Aircrew" (MACR). He went through Cosford in the late sixties and claimed to be the recipient of the George Cross, well past his 22 year point, plus the recipient of the "Billy Deacon Memorial Search and Rescue Trophy" awarded by HRH Prince Philip... RAF SNCO aircrew tend to be younger (direct entry "plastic sergeants") and being repeatedly dunked like a tea-bag is not for those of more advanced years. Alarm bells rang and I expressed some doubts, explaining the "walt" phenomenon.

The claim escalated.... my friend was forwarded copies of photos showing an unidentifiable winchman, dangling like a tampon over a rag-bin. Then, a mysterious third party appeared: a champion, head of the "crew team" at Wattisham Airfield (ex-RAF now Army), who sent a copy of the George Cross Citation. The name and unit were (disgracefully) replaced, but I was able to check in the London Gazette, 8 September 1995. We were able to trace the email ISP to tie the walt and his alter ego together (surprisingly easy) and further digging revealed an interesting coincidence: this second stolen name was apparently someone at Cosford in the 60s. A phone call to Wattisham confirmed there was no one of that name there. I'd had enough by then and called the RAF Police at HQ P&SS, passing on his service number, which he'd been persuaded to disclose. This was then passed to the local constabulary who took a statement.

By that point, the guy had been kicked out by the deceived party, so no further action was taken. But if anyone hears of a heroic OAP winchman, then please let me know.
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

May I be the first to say that anyone in the RAF is walting anyway?
    • Like Like x 5
  3. "...they should realise they are not civilians in uniform..." W Churchill on the RAF

or something VERY similar
  4. "a detatchment of fighting air-groundsmen.." That was before he announced the formation of the Royal Air Force Regiment. Soldiers shoot things, airmen fly things and tweak them with wrenches, each to their own.
  5. A tad unfair, after all, who did the last parachute jump into operations, the RAFRegt. They may lead the way on recruiting for shirtlifters (3 Para excepted) and people of other persuasions, but, they do get you to the front line quite quickly and are a dab hand a dropping go-bangs generally in the right place, unlike the Americans. They too have had their share of losses on ops and now actually do have some use in the wider scheme of trying to rule the world. Blue is so much more 'in' this year than cabbage
  6. Winston Churchill: "Every airfield should be a stronghold of fighting air-groundsmen and not the abode of uniformed civilians in the prime of life protected by detachments of soldiers."
  7. I'm not questioning this I'm interested in when they jumped into operations?

8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They dropped into Sierra Leone to "open" the airfield. And were watched with some amusement and bemusement by the Nigerian peacekeepers who had been using it for some time. I believe the jump was instigated by the greatest planning brains in the RAF - the PR department.
  9. I think you may need to caveat that somewhat.
  10. They were then besieged by local kids who after a couple of hours waiting on the DZ to watch the lob, wanted some sweets.