RAF RPAS Ops

At first I misunderstood that last sentence and thought we spent a lot of money to kill a £150 drone.:oops:
The aircraft are up there conducting armed ISR anyway but as ever it's a cost v value argument. The alternative is to watch them target local forces and civilians.

Regards,
MM

any move on equipping the RPAS with something like Starstreak HVM or some other small missile designed to hit flying things..?

i notice the drone attack on the Sov.. i mean Russian base in Syria recently - if drones are going to be a bigger and bigger part of the workload because of their ever increasing effectiveness and decreasing cost, then it might be a plan.

any move on equipping the RPAS with something like Starstreak HVM or some other small missile designed to hit flying things..?...
No.

...i notice the drone attack on the Sov.. i mean Russian base in Syria recently - if drones are going to be a bigger and bigger part of the workload because of their ever increasing effectiveness and decreasing cost, then it might be a plan.
There are much easier ways of addressing that threat via EW and GBAD.

Regards,
MM

Protector to make trans-Atlantic flight to attend RIAT.

GA is flying their Sky Guardian RPAS across the Atlantic to attend RIAT. Although not technically a Protector, it serves as a prototype and test-bed for the new RAF RPAS which will replace Reaper from around 2021. This will be the first time that a Medium Altitude, Long Endurance (MALE) RPAS has conducted a flight across the Atlantic.

Regards,
MM

If it's RAF it will have engine/unspecified problem and have to spend a day and night in a 5* hotel in Bermuda.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
What about FEMALE RPAS? You sexist lot, you.

Protector to make trans-Atlantic flight to attend RIAT.

GA is flying their Sky Guardian RPAS across the Atlantic to attend RIAT. Although not technically a Protector, it serves as a prototype and test-bed for the new RAF RPAS which will replace Reaper from around 2021. This will be the first time that a Medium Altitude, Long Endurance (MALE) RPAS has conducted a flight across the Atlantic.

Regards,
MM
Direct into Fairford?

What about FEMALE RPAS? You sexist lot, you.
FEMALE RPAS were trialed but were rejected on the following issues:

1. They were unserviceable one week out of every 4.

2. When airborne, the data link sometimes became unresponsive for no apparent reason resulting in the FEMALE RPAS flying off on its own into a holding pattern for several hours where it communicated with no-one. Eventually, it would return but only basic commands were possible for several days after each incident.

3. A persistent software fault resulted in operators being reminded of error codes from seemingly unreleated events weeks or even months previously.

4. Lubrication issues became a persistent issue as the RPAS aged.

5. The master arm button was small, difficult to find and often resulted in premature weapons release.

Direct into Fairford?
Yep.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

2. When airborne, the data link sometimes became unresponsive for no apparent reason resulting in the FEMALE RPAS flying off on its own into a holding pattern for several hours where it communicated with no-one. Eventually, it would return but only basic commands were possible for several days after each incident.

3. A persistent software fault resulted in operators being reminded of error codes from seemingly unreleated events weeks or even months previously.

5. The master arm button was small, difficult to find and often resulted in premature weapons release.

Yep.

Regards,
MM
6. Would want to leave the battlespace if another turned up wearing the same colours.

That's a new development isn't it? Are they bringing an LRE or doesn't it need one in the same way as current models?
Indeed. Sky Guardian/Protector look similar to Reaper but are in reality entirely different aircraft. and it does not require a Launch and Recovery Element (LRE).

Regards,
MM

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That's exactly what it is.

Just not the model we consider to be correct.
So, if a Sharia court in Birmingham says that Mustapha X should have his right hand amputated for theft that is ok because it is their culture; or it is OK for the same court to sentence a woman to death by stoning for adultery, or death to a gay man by throwing off a tall building would also be okay because it is their culture?

Remember, that Sharia court would be as legal as the ISIS one.

So, if a Sharia court in Birmingham says that Mustapha X should have his right hand amputated for theft that is ok because it is their culture; or it is OK for the same court to sentence a woman to death by stoning for adultery, or death to a gay man by throwing off a tall building would also be okay because it is their culture?

Remember, that Sharia court would be as legal as the ISIS one.
Confusing a Middle East sh1thole with Birmingham is an easy mistake to make.

6. Would want to leave the battlespace if another turned up wearing the same colours.
Which is why the RA would've operated them, making the risk of that statistically unlikely...

Yep.

Regards,
MM
And there was the problem that the capability for autonomous decision making was unpredictable, and thus caused all sorts of LOAC issues when it came to placing the FEMALE RPAS in the kill chain....

Not sure if this is the right place for it but I saw this and thought it interesting.

It has all gone quiet on the Taranis front so I guess this is the follow on programme. Though I thought we were supposed to be doing something with the French?

BAE awarded contract for Future Combat Air System work
Personally, I was singularly unimpressed by Teranis which was always merely a demonstrator (one of several in Europe which were - very - loosely linked).

The Anglo-French UCAV is largely on the back-burner due to BREXIT.

Regards,
MM

"
Maybe the drones should be fitted with speakers and powerful microphones , so that the target and operator can speak to one another ?
" You there ! , stop stoning that woman at once , or you'll have a Paveway so far your arrse the tip will rip your tonsils out ! "
" But effendi , she's an adulterer , and it's our culture ! "
" The dirty cow, alright , crack on , then " "

Make that a DH-9, leaflets instead of speakers and the operators needing goolie chits and it was called "Air Control".....

A slight tangent...

It has been noted that a lot of ex-manned aircraft Pilots have moved to fly RPAS. What is the likelihood of this working in the opposite direction? In other words, what is the likelihood of newly qualified direct-entry RPAS pilots, with their 60 or so EFT hours, doing a tour or two flying Reaper/Protector (in future) and requesting to move to fixed wing?

Theoretically, perhaps not such a large jump:

- instrument hours are rife whilst flying RPAS - glass cockpits within new aircraft (think Phenom in training, Voyager etc) - potential to reduce risk of failure?
- passed an in-depth, longer EFT so could bypass this training phase/short refresher?
- Still require airmanship qualities to fly RPAS so, again, improves potential pass rate?

Furthermore, DE RPAS Pilots wising to convert may perhaps be able to avoid the idiotic training pipeline clog(?), which could be necessary in the long run, with wannabe pilots on excessively long holds as Air Traffic bods etc. - would they prefer to start fresh with new trainees or implement RPAS crews wishing to convert further along in the training pipeline - ie bypassing EFT and straight into ME training, which could even be condensed? I'm hearing that those that entered as Pilots, were given hugely long holds and are being trained as Air Traffic Controllers etc. may be stuck in that role... Service need and all that.

However, of course, as we know, RPAS is currently one of the most operationally active assets within the RAF presently, and thus this could restrict the possibility of this happening.

Just a thought...

A slight tangent...

It has been noted that a lot of ex-manned aircraft Pilots have moved to fly RPAS. What is the likelihood of this working in the opposite direction? In other words, what is the likelihood of newly qualified direct-entry RPAS pilots, with their 60 or so EFT hours, doing a tour or two flying Reaper/Protector (in future) and requesting to move to fixed wing?

Theoretically, perhaps not such a large jump:

- instrument hours are rife whilst flying RPAS - glass cockpits within new aircraft (think Phenom in training, Voyager etc) - potential to reduce risk of failure?
- passed an in-depth, longer EFT so could bypass this training phase/short refresher?
- Still require airmanship qualities to fly RPAS so, again, improves potential pass rate?

Furthermore, DE RPAS Pilots wising to convert may perhaps be able to avoid the idiotic training pipeline clog(?), which could be necessary in the long run, with wannabe pilots on excessively long holds as Air Traffic bods etc. - would they prefer to start fresh with new trainees or implement RPAS crews wishing to convert further along in the training pipeline - ie bypassing EFT and straight into ME training, which could even be condensed? I'm hearing that those that entered as Pilots, were given hugely long holds and are being trained as Air Traffic Controllers etc. may be stuck in that role... Service need and all that.

However, of course, as we know, RPAS is currently one of the most operationally active assets within the RAF presently, and thus this could restrict the possibility of this happening.

Just a thought...
I would pretty much agree with all of the above @Roll0.

Of these, some are being actively considered, some are currently a step too far for the less forward thinking. One of the biggest obstacles is simply that there are still common misperceptions regarding the true nature of skills required for RPAS.

Unfortunately, I fear excessively long holds will be a feature for some time of the farce which is MFTS.

Regards,
MM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 74
Good CO The Intelligence Cell 4
bullshit The Intelligence Cell 6