RAF & Royal Navy nicknames

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by growler, Jul 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure that this has been done before but can't find the thread.
    Origins of "crabs" for RAF &
    " The Andrew" for our naval chums please.
    Ex Royal Navy youngish chap in pub & ex RAF old boy from National service days had never heard the phrases.

2. Surely because of Prince Andrew for the Navy?

3. Crab is latin for " work shy civvies"

The Andrew is a reference to the name of the first victim of male rape on a submarine.

4. Nice one but, come on, I thought that the crab one had something to do with the capbadge and Andrew was some sort of Victorian royalty who took a special interest (sic) in the navy?

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Wah?

6. And just what would you know about the "W" word anyway?

Gimp!

7. Bless, the crab biatch is tired.

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Crab, as described by Spike Milligan. Was possibly due to the cream Blue Unction used in the treatment of Crabs, matching perfectly the blue uniform of said RAF punter.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ventress is right about the origin of crab (crabfat to treat pubic lic) and the colour of uniforms.

The Andrew is so named because of one press-ganger who was so successful that the navy's manpower was regarded as 'his'.

• Like Like x 1
  10. From 'Jackspeak' by Rick Jolly....

The Andrew- Said to be named after Lt Andrew Miller, a highly successful press-gang offcer of the 18th century.

Crabs-The colour of RAF uniforms is supposed to have resulted from diversion of a huge but cancelled export order for the Tsar's Imperial Guard follwoing the previous years Revolution in Russia. This light blue colour was identical to the greasy mercuric oxide jelly (or crabfat) which was widely issued at the time for the treament of body lice-crabs

11. Anyone have a scooby why the RAF telegraphists ( DTG = Shiney arrse in the R.Sigs) were called

PEANUTS ?

12. Bootnecks- used to describe Marines, due to the leather neck braces worn to stop us Matelot's from slitting their throats.

Matelots- french term for a sailor, apparently used due to the french being our natural enemies and it meaning to be offensive to describe us as such.

Skate- used to describe a sailor based in portsmouth due to sailors of yore finding that a skate fish had what look like female genitalia and was this pinned to a mast and abused by the ship's company.

Percy Pongos- Because where ever the Army goes, the Pong Goes (grabs helment and anti-flash, await's incoming)

13. Sorry. The term may not be an insult but a reminder of the great deeds of the Iron Duke and his men. It is likely to result from Wellington's Peninsular army picking up the Portuguese word for bread "Pao" pronounced "Pong." The NAM has soldiers' letters referring to "pong" for bread. Pongo may simply refer to Thomas Lobster's freshly baked diet compared to the weevil infested biscuits preferred by the jolly jack tars of the time.

14. Seaman staines masterbatess roger the cabin boy golden rivet limers duff singers lower deck lawyer dockyard rigger dockyard oyster mombers guz shippers teaboat safevuard all clips on gen dit **** me i know as i worked with the navy when i left army took me a while tho

15. I thought I was because crabs moved sidewards and never advanced