RAF Regt

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BigCheese, Apr 11, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI guys,

Just thought I'd grab your attention for a few moments and ask of your opinions/thoughts on 'the regt'.

I know the crabs get stick from the pongos and andrew, however, just curious to see what people think of the RAF Regt aswell.

I'm still gunning all the way for the army, and hopefully should have my RCB briefing within a couple of months :wink:

Thanks in advance guys

2. I trained with Rock Ape officers on PCBC and they were really good blokes. They are good at what they do and they are pretty hot on the Inf side of life. An RAF Regt Flight Sergeant tends to be on the instructional Staff there as well.

Ended up in NI at one stage and bumped into one of the guys off my course. Had a really good night in the mess! As we were out there on a fastball type event, we were scratching around for a few resources. Rockapes more than willing to square it away. So my experience of them is pretty ggod. But I am sure other people have had different experiences with them.
  3. I'm aware that they normally send a couple of their lads on PCBC, and that they normally have 1 at RMAS, so its good to hear that you've had good experiences of them so far.

Though I'm sure others will have varying views as is always the case.

Looking forward to reading peoples comments

thanks guys

4. Permission to enter the mess ....................

Worked with the rock apes on a number of occasions in my career, first time thought mmmmm bloody RAF..........well turned out to be a good experience, and the subsequent times was also positive, they have (or did have) a great attitude. ............ hope it hasnt changed.

PS they also surprised me in there knowledge of the ground role they had to play.
  5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

Worked with a couple towards the end of last year on TELIC, and they seemed thoroughly decent blokes. ...made you wonder why they joined the RAF :wink:

Anyone heard anything about the rumours that the new defence review/cut-backs will slice the RAF Regt? Apparently that's one of the rumours circulating around the RAF at the moment.
  6. From what I've heard, the Regt stand to lose their GBAD capability, handing over Rapier solely to the Royal Artillery.

I've been told it comes down to their being a lack of air threat, and that they were late getting out to the gulf last year.

However, on the plus side of things, they do want more field sqns, as the field force is almost bursting at the seams at the moment with deployments.
  7. I met a guy from RAF regt while in cyprus - great guy, i then met his mates..... great guys aswell :D. All good blokes from my experience, and bigcheese i think your rapier comment is balls to be honest mate
  8. Manchestermonkey, you may think its balls, fair enough, but thats gen direct from Honington (I was there early March)

Plus, during telic1 and after they had to re-role their rapier units to field sqn duties, as thats where they were needed.

It'd be a shame for them to lose it though, as its undoubtedly a good bit of kit!!
  9. one thing strikes me if the the raf reg lose rapier. does that mean that we will be taking on the air defence of mpa.

worked with the raf regt for a long time on the most part very good.
  10. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

I remember now, it was the GBAD capability that was specifically mentioned as being threatened. The field sqns are far more flexible, being independent, 'up-firepowered' company groups, and have also been used, as well as the Paras, as Cat 2 troops for operations with 'gun club personnel'..
  11. As a diversion? 8)
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Cat 2 support to DSF? Come on now, lets get serious. They are used to guard the sodding aircraft.

The RAF Regt is a lost cause - gate guardians and not much more. If it doesn't get cut in this latest Defence saving exercise it won't last much longer in its present form.

Promotion and career prospects for someone joining now - zilch. If you want to be a soldier join the Army.
  13. Its interesting reading these posts.

Chimera, you obviously know little as to what the Regt do.

On telic1 2(para)sqn and 34sqn were on cat2 support.

As for guarding planes, the other units there were in the Rumalyah oilfields and taking Safwan Airstrip and clearing out the town for SHF.

And by the way, they're actually looking to expand the Regt.
  14. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Er no. I do know what they do.

I was on TELIC 1.

The RAF Regt did not 'take' Safwan airfield, it occupied it (together with Army personnel) after a USMC unit had been through first. It was not defended anyway.

They did not 'clear out' the town. This is not the place to engage in a pissing match about what did or didn't happen Safwan on and after 20 March.

Ramallah was a 16 Bde operation, conducted as a relief in place with a USMC RCT.

As to Cat 2 support - I stand by what I say.

The bottom line is that there is no longer any reason to justify having an separate set of infantry recruited and trained by the RAF. Their function is to operate as a land component - therefore their role can be done by any comparable Army or RM unit.
  15. Up until 1943 that's exactly what the Army did do.