• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RAF Regt in the SFSG

Ok this thread is not supposed to be an rockape baiting exercise, but it probably will decend into one.

My question (which was hgihtlighted in part in another thread) is why exactly are the RAF regt there ? I'm not saying they shouldnt be just I would like to know the practicality

I have come up with 3 real solutions

1. They are considered to be as good as Para or marines

2. They have a specific role in capturing and securing airheads for SF ops

3. The SFSG need to be para trainied for role purposes, and they are a shortage of para trained people (I am assuming that the Marines are all para qualified)

OK, my take on 1 is thats pants. a set of wings does not mean you are a good solider, I have come accros many non "elite" infanty units that would beat paras and marine hands down on skills and drills, that aside they are not infanteers any way so there would be a skills gap (please don't give ne any "We all do the infantry job" crap). Secondly I have it on good authority that the RAF "P Coy" is nowhere near as hard as the inf or All Arms one, and that was from a rather tubby looking chap from "2 Para" as he liked to call them. He considered it to be a bit of a joke to tell you the truth.

2 seems logical but do you realy need RAF Regt for that when any part of the SFSG could carry out the role, don't forget this is support to the big biys, surely this waould fall under the catogory.

While 3 has a certain logic to it, 1 Para raided, Marines have there own numbers to consider maybe there are holes that RAF can fill.

Personally I think a great opputunity has been missed to form a new unit with its own selection availible to all wearing one capbadge, but hey thats just me

cpunk

LE
Why are they there? Someone has to guard the FOB and the RAF Regiment have maintained an elite 'stagging on' capability ever since they were created.

Maybe it's just to keep everyone happy. Para's keep the Army brass happy , booties give you Navy involvement and the RAF Regt keeps the crabs happy. Altogether everyone has an iron in the fire and all is happy and rosy.

Perhaps there was just a desire to make the unit appear inclusive rather than exclusive. The odds are, that some apes have the capability to be as good as their Army and Marine counterparts, they just made a questionable choice of arm. Hopefully those with ability will now have the chance to fulfill their true potential, while those less capable individuals can always "wait out front and keep the engine running"

RAF Regt battle honours:

1 Sqn: Kurdistan 1922-23, Kurdistan 1930-31, Palestine 1936, Habbaniya, Iraq 1941, Egypt & Libya 1941-43, Gulf 1991, Iraq 2003

2 Sqn: Transjordan 1924, Palestine 1936-39, Egypt & Libya 1940-43, Iraq 1941, Syria 1941, El Alamein, North Africa 1943
Iraq 2003

3 Sqn: Iraq 1923-25, France & Germany 1944-45

16 Sqn: Iraq 2003

26 Sqn: Gulf 1991

27 Sqn (RAF elm of Jt NBC Regt): Iraq 2003

34 Sqn: Gulf 1991, Iraq 2003

51 Sqn: France & Germany 1944-45, Gulf 1991, Iraq 2003

63 Sqn (Queen's Colour Sqn): Italy 1943-45, France & Germany 1945, South Atlantic 1982

From rafweb.org

U

uncle_ho

ViroBono said:
RAF Regt battle honours:

1 Sqn: Kurdistan 1922-23, Kurdistan 1930-31, Palestine 1936, Habbaniya, Iraq 1941, Egypt & Libya 1941-43, Gulf 1991, Iraq 2003

2 Sqn: Transjordan 1924, Palestine 1936-39, Egypt & Libya 1940-43, Iraq 1941, Syria 1941, El Alamein, North Africa 1943
Iraq 2003

63 Sqn (Queen's Colour Sqn): Italy 1943-45, France & Germany 1945, South Atlantic 1982

From rafweb.org
I just did a quick google on History of the RAF Regiment and get this form an original site
A Brief History of the RAF Regiment
Formed in the storm and stress of war in 1942, the RAF Regiment was born of the official recognition of the necessity for an indigenous and credible RAF ground defence force.
Out of interest , how do you account for the battle honours you have listed that are pre 1942 ?
This isn't a wind up and Im not baiting you. Just interested.

ViroBono said:
RAF Regt battle honours:

Iraq 2003

From rafweb.org
was in iraq in 2003 with the JHF 51 sqn fcuking rubbish 63 sqn who took over the peace keeping role very good.

As a former member of and After reading some of the comments about the RAF Regiment,( I have been out now for 8 yrs after 26 yrs service) not only these recent ones but some dating back a while. some of them questioning whether they are trained soldiers or not and posts that they hold at various army training establishments. I have come to the conclusion that some of you have got no idea whatsoever of what the RAF Regiment is or does. Hardly surprising as they don't get mentioned very often and in my time in the Regiment we were very often mistaken for and reported on the news as being the Army after we had dealt with situations in N. Ireland. Yes they are a part of the RAF but the Marines are a part of the Navy. In the Regiment they carry RAF id cards in the Marines they carry a RN id card but it does'nt stop them from being bloody good soldiers.

The Regiment was formed in 1942 as an independent corps within the RAF.

The reason that it was formed is because following the Army's promises that it would defend the airbases it failed to do so. This was highlighted when the Germans using Paratroops assaulted the Island of Crete. As the Army had not identified the importance of Airfield defence so the germans overan them and then used them to fly in supplies and reinforcements. This resulted in the loss of Crete and the Navy at great risk having to carry out another evacuation in the like of Dunkirk.

Following this it was decided that the RAF needed it's own Ground Fighting Force so the Regiment was formed any likeness to the RAF stops there. This also freed up Army units so that they could be used elsewhere.

On it's formation the Regiment was trained by instructors drawn in from the Marines and the Brigade of Guards and were trained to the same standards as those units. That still holds true today although the Regiment does it's own training. They are taught the same weapons and tactics from the same pamphlets.

The basic recruit course follows along the same lines as the Marines course. The big difference is that at the end there is no 30 mile run as this is not needed for the normal job that the Regiment does. So at this point they are trained up to the same standards as an infantry recruit.

If they decide to volunteer for parachute training they then undergo further training on what they call Pre Para. This is run along the same lines as the Army P Coy.

As for the job. You do not defend an airfield from inside the wire. Some of the comments made were that they are only seen standing guarding aircraft or on the main gate or up in watch towers. This is true they will be seen there. When they are assigned to a base to defend this then becomes their barracks. Do the Army or Marines not pull guard duty when in their barracks.

The Regiment operate outside the fence when it hits the fan like in Iraq or Afghan. The distance outside the fence is dictated in part by the threat to the base. If the enemy are able to hit the base with Arty or shoot down aircraftas it takes off or lands from 15 miles away then that is how far out the Regiment will operate. This area is refered to as the Ground Defence Area (GDA). The task will include any towns, villages or othe populated ares within it.

They will do this this on foot by vehicle or chopper as required.

For patrolling purposes the Army may say that the task is to gain info, to destroy or disrupt enemy forces and to dominate the area between opposing FEBA's. The Regiment is the same except they dominate the GDA.

So their training has to cover the whole spectrum of infantry training, Attack, Defence, FIBUA/DIBUA and so on.

In the spirit of co-operation they have exchange posts with the Army and Marines so that is why they can be seen at various establishments.

So other than a RAF Blue No 1 Dress awith the distinctive RAF REGIMENT shoulder flash refered to as the Mud Guard and a RAF id card, any similarity to the RAF stops there.

I am in no way saying that they are better trained than the Army or Marines. But they are not trained any worse. The differenc is in the roll that they are used and I can say with conviction that airfield defence is not easy.

In my time in the Regiment I had the privelige to work with the Army and Marines on many occassionsand in most cases made some very good and hopefully lifelong friend.

Well thats it sorry if long winded but I had to try

All the best

Rockape110

Why not ask someone who's SF or in 1 Para, I'm sure they will tell you. I can't believe some people, complaining about who's in SFSG, like the Director SF doesn't know what he's doing. What next, TA RLC complaining SF selection isnt hard enough or saying the SBS are a bit gay as theyre mostly Navy.

I heard that there weren't any problems with RAF Regt making up part of the SFSG, as they were only sending about 40 blokes, so they could send their best. SF held a sort of selection so they could see that everybody was capable of doing the job when the SFSG was formed, and the RAF Regt did fine.

Latest Threads