RAF Regt 74 years old today

Today the RAF Regt celebrates it's 74th anniversary.

The genesis of the RAF Regiment was with the creation of No. 1 Armoured Car Company RAF in 1921 for operations in Iraq, followed shortly afterwards by No. 2 Armoured Car Company RAF and No. 3 Armoured Car Company RAF. These were equipped with Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars and were highly successful in ground combat operations throughout the Middle East in the 1920s and 1930s. The RAF Regiment came into existence, in name, on 1 February 1942. From the start it had both field squadrons and light anti-aircraft squadrons, the latter originally armed with Hispano 20mm cannon and then the Bofors 40 mm anti-aircraft gun. Its role was to seize, secure and defend airfields to enable air operations to take place. Several parachute squadrons were formed to assist in the seizing of airfields and No. II Squadron retains this capability. 284 Field Squadron was the first RAF unit to arrive in West Berlin in 1945, to secure RAF Gatow.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that.

Spagbol tonight.

After visiting an RAF camp a little while ago, I think some of the founding members are still on barrier up/down duty.

About time it retired then, but Happy Birthday. Bet all them barriers'll be jumping up and down with joy. :cool:
I tried Google, looking for a traffic barrier cake but alas, it came up empty.

And today one of the original Flight Lieutenants received his very first promotion.

just a question(be nice),if say a AAC sqn deployed to ops would they get a company sized FP force gifted to them or would it be diy

After visiting an RAF camp a little while ago, I think some of the founding members are still on barrier up/down duty.
I think you're confusing them with RAF Police.

Today the RAF Regt celebrates it's 74th anniversary.

The genesis of the RAF Regiment was with the creation of No. 1 Armoured Car Company RAF in 1921 for operations in Iraq, followed shortly afterwards by No. 2 Armoured Car Company RAF and No. 3 Armoured Car Company RAF. These were equipped with Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars and were highly successful in ground combat operations throughout the Middle East in the 1920s and 1930s. The RAF Regiment came into existence, in name, on 1 February 1942. From the start it had both field squadrons and light anti-aircraft squadrons, the latter originally armed with Hispano 20mm cannon and then the Bofors 40 mm anti-aircraft gun. Its role was to seize, secure and defend airfields to enable air operations to take place. Several parachute squadrons were formed to assist in the seizing of airfields and No. II Squadron retains this capability. 284 Field Squadron was the first RAF unit to arrive in West Berlin in 1945, to secure RAF Gatow.
Wow congrats !!!!

Bet they've brassed up a few Ospreys in that time .

74years ago? Wow, it all went downhill from there, didn't it?

It's almost as if there isn't much interest into a small part of the Royal Air Force, on a predominately Army-based website?
There's more than a few on here that have done both. I don't recall seeing many Rocks on 'barrier duty'. That always fell down to the erks - with a smattering of RAFP for entertainment value. Anyway, happy geburtstag, you bunch of chippy, penguin-hating, wannabe pongos!

Today (well, yesterday) I saw an RAF Regiment Wg Cdr with SF wings - can't be too many of those about.