RAF Regiment

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jacques_Bustard, May 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The RAF Regiment have taken some stick on ARRSE but this man impresses greatly. Bravo!
    (From MOD website)
    "An officer from the RAF Regiment, Flight Lieutenant Matthew Carter, who played a vital role in destroying Taliban positions as a forward air controller in Afghanistan, has received his Military Cross from His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales at Buckingham Palace following his "selfless bravery".

Flt Lt Carter was a Tactical Air Control Party officer within 3 PARA operating in southern Afghanistan in 2006. As such he regularly directed close and accurate attack helicopter fire with devastating results, neutralising the enemy with ruthless precision.

In one firefight he left the protection of his vehicle and forced his way to the front line without regard for his personal safety. In another attack, the fire he directed from the air was on a Taliban target only 30 metres from his position. But the risk was essential given the ferocious weight of fire coming in, which would otherwise have resulted in significant casualties.

In a further incident he was part of a force being dropped off by helicopter at night to capture a high-value Taliban leader, but the Chinook pilot had to take off after just 20 seconds with Flt Lt Carter still onboard due to sudden incoming fire.

Without regard for himself Flt Lt Carter jumped out of the Chinook from 15 ft (4½ metres), landed in a ditch and instantly began directing fire onto Taliban positions. He gallantly and repeatedly risked his life during all contacts with the enemy".

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Seems to me to be an extremely good MC. Well done the Crab! 8)

3. and your point J_B?

its what he's paid to do
    Good on him

Or do you have a problem with the fact he's R.A.F.?

4. I can't quite believe that highlighting this man's bravery has resulted in such a tardy post. I have no problem with this man's cap badge but note your obvious problem with the RN. As you say good on him.

5. [​IMG]

Here he is.

6. I hear that, after this and the HMS Cornwall incident, the Marines are telling anyone who will listen that they are part of the Big Three, along with Paras and Rockapes.

Nobody believes the Booties, of course.

All joking aside - well done, that man/Crab/Ape. Good Drills.

7. Good drills and very well done. Hat duly doffed.

fastmedic

8. so he at least, was not "utterly utterly useless" as one Para officer said of his flying colleagues...

Good for him. A great fillip for the Samsonites. I am glad we have such a good air force. I just hope they keep the "force" bit of their name, like the police didn't. The Royal Air Service just wouldn't sound the same.

Bl00dy good show. I wish we had more servicemen, like him, and in general, so that we could go and do the sh1tty tasks the govt. gives out properly and effectively.

I say we. I mean you. I am ex. But you know what I mean.

Thanks for posting this, its made my evening shine.

9. Well done that man.

10. hansvonhealing wasn't tardy

edited because the link didn't work

He posted it in the Afghan Fighting thread

11. Top Man! Well done Flt Lt Carter MC!

TFA

12. Brilliant, well done Sir!

13. Wholly deserved. Sphericals and fortitude to aspire to; you can't keep a good Rock down!

Another ARRSE link

14. Well done Sir. Now comb your ****ing hair next time you go to the Palace, crab muppet.

15. Maybe its still standing on end after being dropped in the sh1t. Hats off to him I say.

Edited to say...come to think of it, we'll take our hats off, you keep yours on...Sah.