RAF Regiment

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rsvrnet, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I happened to type RAF Regt into the search out of interest and I appear to have opened a portal to a hate filled world of arguing and slagging.
    It seems the main topics are how poorly trained they are and the fact they big themselves up.
    Well, as inf, I've worked quite often around them on ops and courses and even with them in Iraq and Afghan. And I'm uniquely placed as my older bro is with them.
    I'm curious, people say they are not trained to inf standards, how exactly? Because I have met alot of their guys on courses I've been on at brecon and warminster. They have a platoon at sfsg, who I'm told, by non RAF members of that group, were the only ones to get the required tick in the box during live firing at the initial assessment by the senior officers.
    My brother happens to have done SCBC, PCBC, Light role close recce commanders course, sniper instructor at brecon and a few others. And before anyone doubts it, I am only telling you what I can gurantee.
    So where is the disparity? They seem to have exactly the same weapons, tactics, training, ethos and mentality as any inf regiment I've ever seen, they are just in a different role. One I don't want to do by the way so lets not get rid of them just yet.

2. The only occassion in my time in the army that I've ever encountered the RAF regiment on courses was my para course in 1985 - there were two of them.

I admit that my times at Brecon and Warminster may have preceded a change in policy by the RAF regiment.

The only time I've encountered the RAF Regiment on ops was on Telic 2. Their attitude and drills were poor. The TA force protection company at Basra airport were a much more professional outfit with SNCOs who were fit for purpose. The RAF regiment SNCOs were part of the problem - cowboys.

3. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

With one eyebrow raised, I'll let this run for a little while but with a health warning; if it turns into a slagfest I'll just bin it. In your own time, carry on!

4. The RAF Regiment did used to be full of w@nkers who did nothing but big themselves up but I think since Telic things have been changing. They were full of fat wasters back then but thankfully now most of them have left and have been replaced with guys who want to be professional and that is reflected in their Senior Officers trying to get them the training they need to do that.

My brother is now a civvy but was part of Telic one and bumped into an ex rock on an oil rig who told him he had left because things were getting a bit to serious for the RAF Regiment, he had binned it because he didn't want to go out to Iraq or Afgahn. After asking my brothers opinion on the matter he was called a fat waster and they never spoke again. These are the guys that used to populate the rocks but luckily they're all gone now and the RAF Regiment is starting to fill up with better people I think.

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Spoilsport :twisted:

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

7. Just put my 2 pennath in, the Reock Apes are slagged off all round because they neither fly, maintain or crew aircraft nor are they real soldiers ie Army or dare I say it RM. We mustn`t forget, what they do they are well trained at. :eek:

By the way, what do they do? :D :twisted:

8. So, your big brother's a rock, whilst you're an unemployed civvy. Your big brother says that SRDG are ace, and everyone else is dog toffee.
    Well you've won me over.

9. Erm, the QCS are very good at slapping rifles about.... and those barriers don't lift themselves y'know.

10. Wah Shield up.

Yove been told wrong then.

Wah shield down.

11. Well, as one of those allowed to be sneered at by my 'full-time' brethren, I for one can't wait to go and find some wet paint to watch drying.

I don't think that there are any serving Rocks on Arrse - only a few RAuxAf who are ex-pongos anyway....

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Oh god, this subject again. I reckon we could run an entire website with just two forums: "Are the paras better than line inf" and "Is the RAF Regiment any good". There are rocks on ARRSE as we had a run in with one at some point during the attack of the militant gays last year (he wasn't in to bum love).

13. But you are? 8O

14. I worked with a few RAF Regt lads in NI a few years back, cant say you could tell them apart from the Paras, booties, other Inf or soldiers of any other capbadge in the Det.

You get throbbers and poor servicemen in every service and capbadge, but if youre Army and you get a Rock Ape or bootie you instantly think youre better trained than them and visaversa.

15. Oooohh what a nice thread starter for your first ever post - under this user name. :roll:

I mean, this subject hasn't been done to death more than...let me think...at least ten time (no, I can't be bothered to find the exact number). verticalgyro summed it up perfectly in his/her/it's post! :x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.