RAF Regiment to teacher

''I was living in the line of fire. I've got a few scars.''

It's awesome to think the next time I walk the lonely dark streets of South Dunedin I could bump into the RAF Regts very own John Rambo, praise the Lord he's settled down here...... :)

M

Mark The Convict

His guppy Hamish died after a fellow Rockape chundered into his tank! Have some respect you bastards, he's suffered!

I'm quite alarmed that someone who's 44 has spent 30 years on and behind the front lines.

Dont forget he's served " behind the lines". I'm guessing the newspaper got confused over who's front line he was deep behind and wrongly thought it was the bad guys.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm quite alarmed that someone who's 44 has spent 30 years on and behind the front lines.
Yes, why? His air cadets was obviously a hard tour!
It did say NEARLY 30 years, aged 44, born 1968, joined 1985 at 17, left in 2012, 27 years service, easy. But, some of the stuff is a tad iffy, where were the Rocks in 86 for him to see death? Cookhouse?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
A shelf collapsed in the Naaffi at RAF Honnington. The horror.
I hope it wasn't full of pies at the time, the carnage and grief would have been unbearable ;-)

A shelf collapsed in the Naaffi at RAF Honnington. The horror.

Only one "n" in Honington. And what is a "NAAFFI"?

Fcuking illiterate Pongo! Bet you couldn't be a teacher and tell your war stories to the local rag!

I think you'll find there's three there.

Yeah, yeah yeah. Two n's in the middle bit. I knew what I meant.

Hoisted by my own petard. Must try harder....

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Go on then my hairy ape friends - is this fella (who must be known to someone in the Regiment) a true steely eyed dealer of death or a bit of a fibber? We'll only ask on e-goat (is it still going?) if you don't tell us.

Go on then my hairy ape friends - is this fella (who must be known to someone in the Regiment) a true steely eyed dealer of death or a bit of a fibber? We'll only ask on e-goat (is it still going?) if you don't tell us.
No idea Napier old chum. I have a low cringe threshold, and on reading the article found it working over-drive. He certainly has had an interesting time, and I'm sure some guys on here will pop up to confirm or deny his tales of derring-do. I once doubted that a guy would wrench a fridge from a ship's bar and throw it at some Somali pirates, but it turned out kosher.

Whether he was shot twice, blown up on a dark winter's night in Belfast with Tropper or was simply at Ali-al Salem when the ice cream ran out (like me), blabbering about it all over Sheep-Shaggers Weekly is a bit chod. Maybe I'm just a bit old-fashioned.

Knowing journo's as I do though, a simple story about a bloke making a new life for himself and family in NZ is much more interesting if you twist and spin it into "PTSD suffering wounded warrior battles flashbacks to teach kids" type thing. What someone expects a journalist to produce, and what he/she ACTUALLY writes are very different things. He may have just engaged in a relaxed chat with the journo about his service and is currently cringing like the rest of us and regretting it bitterly!

No idea Napier old chum. I have a low cringe threshold, and on reading the article found it working over-drive. He certainly has had an interesting time, and I'm sure some guys on here will pop up to confirm or deny his tales of derring-do. I once doubted that a guy would wrench a fridge from a ship's bar and throw it at some Somali pirates, but it turned out kosher.

Whether he was shot twice, blown up on a dark winter's night in Belfast with Tropper or was simply at Ali-al Salem when the ice cream ran out (like me), blabbering about it all over Sheep-Shaggers Weekly is a bit chod. Maybe I'm just a bit old-fashioned.

Knowing journo's as I do though, a simple story about a bloke making a new life for himself and family in NZ is much more interesting if you twist and spin it into "PTSD suffering wounded warrior battles flashbacks to teach kids" type thing. What someone expects a journalist to produce, and what he/she ACTUALLY writes are very different things. He may have just engaged in a relaxed chat with the journo about his service and is currently cringing like the rest of us and regretting it bitterly!
Surely Tropper was alone when he became acquainted with (and defeated) DEATH on than fateful cold dark and rainy night in Belfast ??