RAF Regiment - Lance Corporals

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by Auld-Yin, Nov 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I noticed tonight on the Festival of Remembrance that there were several LCpls. When did this start?

Genuine query as I have not noticed this before - is it only Regt or all RAF?

2. Only RAF Regt, used to give the senior SAC's the powers of NCO when leading sections etc and to actually know who is in charge.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sorry to be pedantic but are they Lance Comicals or Senior Senior AirCraftmen?

4. Lance Corporals I think.

5. They are proper Lance Jacks, not sure if they go to Halton to do a proper leadership course though or if it's just a in house Regt thing

6. They do a junior command course at the RAF Regt depot.

7. They would do, except for one thing. The RAF Regt haven't had a depot since they left Catterick. Honington is a bog standard RAF Stn that happens to have 4 field squadrons squatting in it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So I take it that now the rock apes have lance jacks it will put an end to all those idiot crabs who used to try and blag it that JT's and SAC(T)'s are the same as lance corporals

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not been JT's for a long time, apart from a few hangers on, who must be really crap at their jobs! and the SAC (T) don't think they should be in my experience.

10. to be fair an AC2 at Halton would outrank a chippy lance-jack that thought he was someone in a Cartman stylee, can only assume naked got fucked-off at the high point for being a nob by a WAAF LAC

11. Well Wikipedia says that Honington is the RAF Regt depot so it must be true ;-)

12. That was not the depot,it was the RAF Fire Service training school,the rocks just helped to keep the place worth keeping open,shame it closed the new place in kent is pants and the areas crap.

13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

RAF Catterick was the RAF Regiment Depot for many years. It was the only station always commanded by a Rock. The Fire School was at the Depot because historically RAF firefighters were part of the RAF Regt.

14. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Actaully, the fire fighters were never part of the RAF Regt. They were allowed to wear the flash though due to having the same training. This has since changed and due to training separatly, the fire fighters no longer have the right to wear the flash.
    Also, although technically, an SAC was the same rank as a lance jack, an SAC couldn't jail a L/Cpl but a l/Cpl could jail a SAC. Which is why the lowest rank in the RAF police was CPL.