RAF Regiment insignia.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by scottishcammy, Aug 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    hoping to be in the RAF Regiment reserves shortly. I have been trying to find a resource that indicates what the different insignia of the gunners represent. In particular I was wondering what the eagle shoulder patch is.
    Anyone know of any websites?
    Cheers. :wink:

Oh aye, for those who seem to delight in such thing, roll on with the usual RAF Regiment slagging, I really don't give a shite.
  2. Eagle?
    do some research
  3. Thanks, really helpful.
  4. I think they may have earned themselves a reprieve from this of late.

Well for a while...
  5. Try E GOAT
  6. Cheers chaps.
  7. The Eagle or otherwise known as the scabby chicken is 63 sqn. :D

Were formally based at Gutersloh in Germany as Rapier.

Probably now a field sqn based at Honnington but I'm not sure.
  8. Thanks. To be clear, this is what I'm talking about:

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a photo of my Grandad with those on his sd back in 42, all RAF/RCAF wore those regardless of rank or role at least as OR's
  10. You should join 16 sqn - a real regt :D :D :D :D :D
  11. I believe No.63 is the shadow number for the Queen's Colour Sqn.
  12. Cammy,

Ugly is right - they are worn by all RAF OR's, not just Regiment. I think they are Albatross-ess-esses' - things with big feckin wings.

All the very best to you. You'll be in a sandy place not long after getting your mudguards I shouldn't wonder; all FP Wings do the trawl for qualified oggy Gunners when they deploy.

Per Ardua - Dave
  13. Thanks Dave. Yep, certainly in the news just now for all the wrong reasons, but it seems the guys need as many as much help as they can get, and I'd like to be in a position to do that, though at 33 I think I'll be breathing out my ********! (numpty that I must be!).
  14. And there was me thinking it was called 16 Squadron because it was a real squadron.

Mind you i know what you mean , which is very sad.
  15. Mate,

Para 0203 at the attached linky says it is an Eagle.

What it signifies? I have no idea. It was around in WWII, made a re-appearance in the late 1990's.

When I was on 2 Sqn, I remember all of the ORs getting the "shitehawks" put on their uniforms at the tailors. The tailor took one look at the Flight Sergeant uniforms and decided that he couldn't fit RAF Regt Mud Guards, Shitehawk, Para Wings, Flight Sergeant Crown and Stripes all on the right arm so he moved everyone's Para Wings above the left breast pocket (same place as aircrew where their wings). The Sqn WO went fcuking mental. You could hear him yelling at the tailor all the way across the stn!!!