Builds RAF refuelling trucks 1/76 scale Airfix kit number A03302

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
1940......What black top..... Its in the name airFIELD.... =-D=D
Don't confuse the RAF types, It took them 100 years to get a Lance Corporal! Feck knows how long they'll need to sort out the landing area for a flying thingy.

the construction of the cab, good clean fit, the cab front is just a test fit, I'm painting the inside before that goes on, Windows don't come with it, so they will have to be scratch made... The wheel arches and lower pane bars thinned down.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
the construction of the cab, good clean fit, the cab front is just a test fit, I'm painting the inside before that goes on, Windows don't come with it, so they will have to be scratch made... The wheel arches and lower pane bars thinned down.
I’m suddenly reminded of the Matador/5.5in howitzer kit.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
At least you won't have to do too many fiddly cuts on them. Do you use pva glue for windows? I use it as it dries clear without any amateur frosting.

At least you won't have to do too many fiddly cuts on them. Do you use pva glue for windows? I use it as it dries clear without any amateur frosting.
I'm thinking that myself, pva for the smaller windows, might try clear sheet plastic for the main windscreen. I've used Tamiya primer spray, thought I'd try it, it comes very well recommended ont internet, bloody pricey though for a small can, £8, costs that for a much larger can of Halfords,see how it goes?

I'm thinking that myself, pva for the smaller windows, might try clear sheet plastic for the main windscreen. I've used Tamiya primer spray, thought I'd try it, it comes very well recommended ont internet, bloody pricey though for a small can, £8, costs that for a much larger can of Halfords,see how it goes?
Hobbycraft are flogging clear sheet at the moment if that helps

the upper and lower halves of the tank, lump of lead glued in there, why? to give the model weight so it sits right.

de seaming the join, first with coarse sandpaper, then fine to get rid of the scratches.

adding the ribs that hold the tank in position, very important to get a strong bond here as they support the weight of my lead in the tank.

quick trial fit, see it all goes together, and It didn't. have to cut off the rearmost locating stud as there is no corresponding hole for it to fit into. apart form that spot on.

moved

Last edited:
Why are vehicle kits 1/76 but aircraft kits are 1/72?

Why are model kit scales what they are.

1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/32 figures but 1/35 with vehicles,1/48,1/72, 1/96*, 1/100, 1/144

*Did I imagine that?
Hi Mothman, that's a big question, far too big for this Refuelling truck build, so as not to cause a derailment of this thread, and there's lots more to come, can you cut and paste your question into military modelling, that's a great place for a good question like that, cheers buddy.

Last edited:
Wheels going on, trying to keep all six even. last thing I want is one off the ground, that would spoil my heavy vehicle look.

then the right side, using a ruler to see if they are all even

the upper and lower halves of the tank, lump of lead glued in there, why? to give the model weight so it sits right.

de seaming the join, first with coarse sandpaper, then fine to get rid of the scratches.

adding the ribs that hold the tank in position, very important to get a strong bond here as they support the weight of my lead in the tank.

quick trial fit, see it all goes together, and It didn't. have to cut off the rearmost locating stud as there is no corresponding hole for it to fit into. apart form that spot on.
Might of been better to drill the missing hole out? rather than trimming the stud?

Interesting watching this - I always painted most of the parts on the sprue and then touched up later. Will it be a struggle painting after assembly? Asking because we all have preferred ways of building and it's the way I'd always done it...

Interesting watching this - I always painted most of the parts on the sprue and then touched up later. Will it be a struggle painting after assembly? Asking because we all have preferred ways of building and it's the way I'd always done it...
Horses for courses really Ian, I use an airbrush and primer from a air can, I'll touch in the tyres before fitting the mudguard, after the whole chassis and tank are sprayed green and brown camo, then I can think about the drips down the side of the tanker. The cab has been test fitted so I can fit that after I've painted it off the model.

Horses for courses really Ian, I use an airbrush and primer from a air can, I'll touch in the tyres before fitting the mudguard, after the whole chassis and tank are sprayed green and brown camo, then I can think about the drips down the side of the tanker. The cab has been test fitted so I can fit that after I've painted it off the model.
Cheers - I'm enjoying watching this. It really must be 40 years since I built this and had great fun posing the wagons around the Mosquito I'd built. The rescue set was next. Happy innocent days making one's own toys.

trip down memory lane, the roof is missing from the kit, It's a rather boxy square structure, but the roof panel slopes down each side, might be able to fabricate one from plasticard.

trip down memory lane, the roof is missing from the kit, It's a rather boxy square structure, but the roof panel slopes down each side, might be able to fabricate one from plasticard.
Bugger.

Latest Threads