Builds RAF refuelling trucks 1/76 scale Airfix kit number A03302

Here is my next model project The Airfix RAF refuelling set. Ode to my Grandfather who served in WW2 in an R&R party in the middle east, I used to take the mick saying his job was to issue fishing rods, but it was refuel and rearm, he took it all in good stead, as he just though he was doing his bit and was just glad to get home in one piece, with I might add a David Niven tash and a deep suntan.
So here is the box art

the Bedford QL of the pair in the set is the smaller capacity Refueller, and the more colourful.

it has the open rear door option, with the fuel pump gear in there and plenty of fuel spilling, oil dripping muck and grime weathering on an otherwise quite clean and tidy vehicle. Can't imagine the refuelling erks in smart uniform for this duty, coveralls would be more like rig of the day. Can't wait to start... as soon as my Kitchen refit is complete.

Ooh! I've got the Emergency Set which I must get around to building. Race ya! =-D

R0B

Old-Salt
I've had an AVTUR shower from the 1980's Leyland style tankers.

They used to slow down as they are filled from the BFI (Bulk Fuel Installation) so to speed it up we used to bend down under the tank where the hose connects and hold the lever open until you could hear the air whistling out of the top. If you get it wrong the auto shutoff won't work while you hold the lever open so the overflow comes out of the top and gives you a nice shower.

We used to wear denims but it still stunk out your shirt hence why POL got the nick name of smellies.

img075.jpg

I seem to remember reading that the blue and yellow paint scheme for the Bedford QL depicts a post-war vehicle, wartime bowsers were painted in various shades of drab camo.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Somewhere in the fractal universe that is my garage, there is a pair of these beauties; built just a year ago. The Bedford really is tiny next to the Matador! Good luck with the build.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We're talking crabs here remember
Instructions to ground crew: stay on the green bits, keep off the black bits. Simples!

I've had an AVTUR shower from the 1980's Leyland style tankers.

They used to slow down as they are filled from the BFI (Bulk Fuel Installation) so to speed it up we used to bend down under the tank where the hose connects and hold the lever open until you could hear the air whistling out of the top. If you get it wrong the auto shutoff won't work while you hold the lever open so the overflow comes out of the top and gives you a nice shower.

We used to wear denims but it still stunk out your shirt hence why POL got the nick name of smellies.

View attachment 384991
#metoo

Leyland Hippos were worse, they didn't have the shut-off valve although the German Fauns did.

You held the valve open? Our German civvy designed a "hold open" device that was engineered to precise dimensions. It was a wooden stick with a vee-cut at both ends. Allowed us to stand back and admire the deluge if we didn't get its removal spot on.

wee friends 1/76 Matador wheels, all 6 plus the spare, they will outclass the kit wheels by a Mile, I'll do a comparison shot further on of kit wheels and these.

Latest Threads