Raf reductions- structure announced tomorrow

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Outstanding, Feb 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems like the Crabs are getting all their details on 1 Mar.
  2. I think the Army details have been put back to the end of May.
    They obviously cannot get their act together.
  3. How about 01 April as an appropriate date!?
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

One wonders whether current 'events' will cause a rethink. SDSR assumption that nothing unexpected could happen having ben blown apart by something unexpected.

What is it about 'unexpected' that these twats do not understand? I wonder if the PM has woken up to the fact his possible COAs would have been far greater if he had something like the Ark Royal and a Squadron or 2 of Harriers at his beck and call.

We may still have chosen the COA we have but wouldn't it have been nice to have had a back up plan.

Wouldn't it be nice if CMD's call to Gadafi was backed with a bit of a perceived threat.
  5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

How sad for them to be disbanded on the same day they were formed,

6. The whole mission could have been completed with The Ark carrier group much more effectively, providing she had been with sailing time.

7. No it couldn't.
  8. OK thats that then.

9. Yes, it is. Remind us again what the range of a Merlin is and how many Ark Royal carries, and how many bodies you can cram in the back of one.
  10. Tell me please how "The Ark carrier group" would have got people out "much more effectively" than the five or so chartered aircraft that flew direct to/from the UK and how it would have picked up those that the RAF C130s spirited out.
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It might have given the planner different options. It may also have provided different back up plans had things gone wrong. The EAGLE CLAW DESERT ONE scenario.

It would also have given us options if the Libyans had demonstrated more willingness to put their airforce in the air to attack the C130's.
  12. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

It wouldn't, because the Air to Air capability of the carrier disappeared with the Sea Harrier
  13. Different option?

You mean, we'd be able to slap a few uppity wogs with our awe inspiring wing of 5 GR9s.

As an expat myself, I'm really starting to feel more secure. Mind you, I demand to be one of the first to be lifted as I don't fancy being left behind when the uppity wogs have become really pissed off...
  14. This little kerfuffle in the ME is a double edged sword. On the one edge it shows that we should expect the unexpected and be prepared for it. On the other, it has shown that things don't always go south in such shenanigans.

Fact remains, had some nut job started tossing SAMs about, or sending up planes and these charted airliners started to meet some sort of 'resisted landing' scenario they'd have turned about smartly on their tails and thrown the googly to the RAF.

Not sure if the 'Apache trick' works as well on Typhoons though :p
  15. Oh No mate you are right - am agreeing with you. Spot On!