RAF Puma celebrates 40th anniversary

Ministry of Defence said:
The Royal Air Force Puma helicopter officially celebrated its 40th anniversary last week, with the first aircraft having undertaken its maiden operational flight on 29 September 1971.

More...

Translation -it's old and knackered, most of the crews are younger than the airframe and there's no replacement on the horizon - FFS trying to turn an embarrassment into a news story......

Nothing to celebrate. They'll be about to have a 100th aniversary.

I thought that the Puma was popular with DSF et al? Fast, manoeuvreable, reliable - the Blackhawk isn't known as the 'Splatthawk' for nothing.

Translation -it's old and knackered, most of the crews are younger than the airframe and there's no replacement on the horizon - FFS trying to turn an embarrassment into a news story......

Look!, We're spending just over £10 million a cab to tart these old clunkers up so don't be so negative!

I loved my time on Pumas. Absolutely fantastic heli to work on.
After 40 years these are a bit like 'Triggers broom' - hardly anything of the original aircraft left.

What always used to concern me when flying in these things was hearing the tail boom (?) creak under the torque of turning.