RAF Pilot wearing 11 Light Brigade Flash

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Notos, Jan 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been looking at the MOD main website, and clicked on the story about the GR4 Pilot.
    After reading the article, i spotted the Pilot wearing the 11 Light Brigade Flash.
    I'm not posting this to sling mud or cast aspersions upon his entitlement, as i doubt the MOD would publish an image with such a faux pas, rather that i'm interested to find out the reasoning behind it eg: is he wearing it because that is the Brigade on the ground he is supporting etc?

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/RafJetPilotSupportsTroopsInHelmand.htm

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Templates/LargeImageTemplate.aspx?img=/NR/rdonlyres/BEB78416-B719-4597-A99A-490087448423/0/2009_Herrick11_0056_0152E.jpg&alt=Flight%20Lieutenant%20Tom%20Benson

2. BALO perhaps,SO3 Air perhaps.Each Bde will have several RAF officers in various positions. All Aircrew will have a ground tour at some point.

3. It was out of interest that I asked. As I said, wondering if anyone could shed any light. Not often you see crossing over of badges like that.

4. NOTOS, exaclty as T_T said; as a member of 11 bde staff he will wear the formation badge.

AoS

5. Bit of a clue here!
    "In March next year, Flt Lt Benson will be going to RAF Leeming, North Yorkshire, to be an instructor at the Joint Forward Air Control Training and Standards Unit (JFACTSU). There he will be training Forward Air Controllers who direct the action of combat aircraft engaged in close air support of land forces."

IMD

6. wahhhh...

right?

MOD? faux pas?

LOL

:? :oops: :omfg: :omfg: :omfg: :omfg: :censored: :censored: :crash:

7. If you were in the RAF wouldn't you pretend to be in the Army?
    He is just doing a little light walting to impress the lumpy fronts.

8. Surely if he going to impress some lumpy jumpers he'd be wearing his flying suit and shades saying "Hi, I'm Maverick don't you know!".

9. Yup as said he'll be on the staff giving proffessional advice to the G3 boys, etc. As it's AFG a fast jet CAS pilot will be the most relevant.

On Telic 13 the RAF lads attached to 20X were both "lift" pilots (one Herc and one SH) as frankly the main effort was getting the fcuk out of there.