RAF Paranoia??

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by up_periscope, Nov 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are the RAF getting paranoid about no-one taking 'the indivisibility of air power' seriously, or what? Not only did the crabs on ACSC have to do 3 weeks indoctrination before joining us, but the latest bash of individual service bumph pushed out has an amzing mis-balance between RN/Army and the crabs: RN has 3 documents to read, Army have 9, and the RAF have a massive 20! This includes 1/2 inch of stuff printed out, which is double the RN & Army printed material on its own before anyone picks up a book or looked on the web.

... but then also maybe I have answered my own question: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the bustards aren't out to get you ...?!?
  2. I think that they have flagged the 'disband the RAF into the Fleet Air Arm and CAS to the Army' drum beat as exactly the sort of thing this Govt with its obsession juggling the books and breaking down institutions (like Parliment) coupled with its anti military attitude may well do.

Most of Bliars understanding of the Armed Forces comes from watching US films - hence his 'Rangers' inititive, the fact that more lawyers must have more power over the Army(JAGS) and that WE HAVE LIMITLESS numbers of Soldiers and great equipment (as Bliar saw on Saving Private Ryan so it must be true). Now if he rewatches Top Gun and notices that they are Navy Pilots...........

So its rather likely that the RAF may go - prehaps a good thing though I hate to say it of this Govt. The RAF can remain as a home defence force with Securi Crab depolyed at Civil Airports checking ID's
  3. Maybe it's because we have an appalling record in training on all matters doctrinal and so have a lot of ground to make up. That and the fact that we are paranoid that the legions of poorly informed officers we employ are likely to let us down in the 'Why we need the RAF' discussions.

Cynical, moi?
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The crabs have always been paranoid about it and rightly so. They spend more time in self justification than the other 2 services, which is in itself a damning response.
  5. Don't be surprised that the RAF need extra work up time and more bumph. Biggles,when in comes to the written word, can have a distinct propensity to produce a magnum opus when a memo might just as well do the job.

Having worked in a 3* RAF HQ I know this to be the case.

To be fair (why not?) few of our light blue brothers and sisters in arms have a great deal of experience of what the RN/RM/Army is about. Nor do many have much of a clue regarding how the day to day business (sorry - dreadful word) of training to/preparing to/in fact - meeting out retribution to Her Majest's enemies is conducted.
  6. I have bemoaned our poor approach to doctrine in the past. I have always felt my Army bretheren in particular are well versed in what they are there for. Some elements of the RAF are starting to grasp doctrine and it is a bit of a great leap forward. I believe the Army has a much fuller approach to the training of staff officers in general - I mean - we do our staff training by correspondence!
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Think we need to start with "cultural" aspects.

1. RN ship at sea, independent command, no [or few] comms. Send a quick signal.
    2. Army formation, fast moving scenario, abbr msg, intend 2 tps fwd etc.
    3. RAF fixed base, loads of comms, photocopiers, time to write in good light and correct errors .....

Crab staffing is verbose, voluminous - but tends to be more correct because of the above.

NOT touching on operational aspects, but Crabs do paperwork big-time - and tend to get better answers if you have the time to read it all!!! :lol:
  8. blue-sophist

Probably paranoid because the "older" Services keep pinging on? :salut:
  9. Sorry old boy but you're way off the money. I had the dubious pleasure of spending four weeks on HMS Ocean (actually, they were top blokes) a few years ago and I was absolutely astonished at the amount of comms capability they had. If you genuinely believe what you've posted above then you really do need to go away and do some basic homework about force projection, etc. Navy blokes don't just simply up anchor and bugger off on their own free will, do they?
  10. blue-sophist

I did say "cultural", and therefore hopefully implied [but clearly unsuccesfully :roll: ] that the RN did not traditionally generate paper mountains [the Postman would have trouble delivering it anyway :lol: ]. I was also , of course, referring back to the days of wooden ships or tenuous HF comms, not the modern world of satellite links etc. Ergo, the combination of the RN electronic comms world and their "tradition" tends to encourage brevity [see first post on this thread] instead of the RAF's production of a new library.

(e.g. "WMP" in reply to an invitation instead of "Flight Lieutenant and Mrs W C Bigglesworth thank Admiral Sir William Hardly-Speaking .... etc. .... and have much pleasure in accepting.).
  11. I suppose I should congratulate you on the fatuous use of 'ergo' in a sentence. But I won't. :roll:
  12. blue-sophist

Fatuous or incorrect, what the f***, I was busy! Besides, ergo has to go in a sentence otherwise it gets lonely :lol:
    What about the substance, dear thing? Do you see from whence I came? :) Stick to thread instead of nitpicking - oooh, sorry, this is ARRSE :lol:
  13. Don't mind me, I'm just bored! :D

Ergo... :roll:
  14. What was the thread again?
    Oh yes. With super-garrisons just a signature away and the need to move organs such as HQ ARRC back to Blighty - the space would be appreciated. STRIKE would be perfect! Would it also help mop-up the fcuk up over quartering? Probably not.
  15. C**t - Isn't the RAF great?