RAF Over-stretch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by seaweed, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Pinched this lead from Rum Ration:

BBC News - RAF chief Sir Simon Bryant in warning over Libya

Harmony guidelines reminder:

Hansard 11 Feb 2009: The Royal Navy guidelines determine that personnel spend, on average, 60 per cent. of their time deployed and 40 per cent. alongside in their home port during a three-year period. The maximum individual threshold (separated service) is 660 days away from their normal place of work in the same three year period. [i.e. an average of 220 days per year away from base]

The Army guidelines determine that soldiers can be deployed for one six-month tour in every 30 months (six on, 24 off) and during that 30 month period a soldier should not expect to be away from his or her normal place of work for more than a total of 415 days. [i.e. an average of 166 days per year away from base]

The Royal Air Force guidelines determine that personnel should not spend more than 280 days in every 24 months away from their normal place of duty. [i.e. an average of 140 days per year away from base]
  2. As usual with the RAF it's all about spin, with the overall aim of promoting their corporate agenda, i.e. securing more funding/manpower than they really need so their personnel don't need to work too hard/spend too much time away from their boyfriends.

In other words, to misquote; utterly, utterly bollocks.
  3. The planes that are bombing Libya are flying from Italy, so all the groundcrews/support staff are based out of there - Its hardly field conditions - Bunch of jaccuzi loving, slipper wearing, uber REMF's.
  4. Jealousy is a terrible thing........
  5. Your sig block says it all.
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You have to be fair to the RAF, it is approaching the holiday season so hotel rooms are becoming more difficult to obtain and more expensive! :)
  7. was put there for the likes of you x
  8. A bloke I know was upset he was going to Italy for two months...

I've been on Exercise longer than that.
  9. Let them have thier fun, they will be disbanded or subsumed into the AAC soon enough :)
  10. **** off back to egoat, you escrote :)
  11. I remember meeting a couple of hard dun by crab pilots, they told me how hard life was for them ,having to live in the desert, unfortunately this was in the hotel bar, in Las Vagas
  12. Is the Southern Italian food the cause of the RAF "running hot"?
    Can anyone supply an address for despatching food parcels and other creature comforts or will any hotel around GdC suffice? At least the beer is okay according to reports.
  13. msr

msr LE

“To paraphrase Gen Dannatt’s comments on the British Army a few years ago, many parts of the RAF are 'running hot’,” Air Chief Marshal Bryant said.

And the crabs can't sustain this for more than a few months? Says it all.

And as for this: “... some pilots of Tristar transport aircraft coming to the end of a two-and-a-half-year tour “have only ever landed at four bases: Brize Norton, Akrotiri, Muscat and Kandahar [the transport hubs for ferrying troops to and from Afghanistan]”.

Does this idiot not realise that we are fighting a war in Afghanistan? Where did he think they were going to fly to? Barbados?
  14. Dunservin

Sending pasta and pizzas might not be what the boys want.....

Is the point is that providing tankers/transports etc to support Italy based jets for Libya takes resources away from the Afghan airbridge?

Maybe a CVS with Harriers would have (could have?) given the RAF the chance of a breather?

See the comments and suggestion here: Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers". - Page 40 - PPRuNe Forums
  15. Bunch of shitcunts the lot of them, spitfire and hurricane crews must be turning in their graves.