RAF on the Offensive – The Rebirth of Tactical Airpower 1940-1941

RAF on the Offensive – The Rebirth of Tactical Airpower 1940-1941

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
“RAF on the Offensive” attempts to focus on a specific window of experience in World War 2, as the title suggests, the RAF’s development of tactical air support between the fall of France and the entry of the USA into the War. The volume reviewed is produced in standard hardback format and is 303 pages long with a good selection of relevant black and white photographs, along with regular interspersion of clear, simple maps. The author draws on a...

Click here to read the full review.....

Might I gently point out that the author’s name appears to be incorrectly spelt in the review? It’s Greg Baughen and the review currently says ‘Bauchen’

Baughen has written a series of these works, all of which seek to plunge a hatchet into the RAF over strategic bombing. Although the books are well-researched, the interpretation is often lacking context and sometimes leaves a reader who’s also consulted the same documents at Kew scratching their head as to how their reading of the documentation can be so different to that of Baughen. As I’ve observed on another review, he seems to have a desire to utter the last word on the RAF during this period (via detours into the French Air Force and explaining how the Fairey Battle might have been so much more successful if only the tactics had been different [missing out the ‘and if only the Germans hadn’t had flak and Messerschmitts’ part of the equation]) and takes very unkindly to those who argue differently, such as the spat he had with Matthew Powell over a piece the latter wrote in Air Power Review a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Apologies for the mis-spelling, I'll amend the review. What you say about Baughen doesn't surprise me, although I haven't come across his other books. I was as diplomatic as i could be on the review, but his writing does come over as a bit of a shouty-crackers monomaniac man on a mission.

Apologies for the mis-spelling, I'll amend the review. What you say about Baughen doesn't surprise me, although I haven't come across his other books. I was as diplomatic as i could be on the review, but his writing does come over as a bit of a shouty-crackers monomaniac man on a mission.
I can think of several people who, were they members of Arrse, would give that assessment a ‘like’, but I’m afraid you’ll just have to accept the one...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I can think of several people who, were they members of Arrse, would give that assessment a ‘like’, but I’m afraid you’ll just have to accept the one...
And gratefully accepted it is!

Latest Threads